What would you feel like if you heard horrible things about someone you cared for?

About how they used to be growing up.
I have a difficult time believing the only sane person in my family was ever like this.
But I had never seen her act like that. In fact she had many friends.
How should I take the news? As a lie?
A little backround...
My relative passed and a few family members have said what a horrible girl she was growing up. I never thought of who she may have been before I was born.
Her friends actually took us in when she passed and took care of us. They would start crying whenever they looked at us. And told us how great of a person she was.
I do not think a horrible person would have had such great friends.
Do you think it is just jealousy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't put anymore thought into it. She was great to you and that's what you need to base your memories on. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• wow, it takes some low class to speak ill of the dead!

Answer by older at 11:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think you should remember her as she was when YOU knew her.. everyone makes mistakes when they are young, maybe by the time she took you in, she had changed.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• first off the person is no longer here. why do they feel it necessary to talk ill about them? that's rude. second, you have your memories. THATS ALL YOU NEED! you know how that person was with you. don't listen to others!

JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• How they were growing up and how they were as adults can be two different things. And it doesn't matter what you hear, you KNOW how they were.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would ignore it. Just remember her as you knew her. I don't know how it is helpful in any way how a person might have acted when they were younger, since she is now passed. You always have the ones who feel it is necessary to bring people down. I've had this experience too. People would say I can tell you a lot about someone I cared for and their family. I just said thanks but no thanks, I love this family and they have been very good to me and I don't feel the need to know (alleged) dirt. Everyone has skeletons of some sort in their closets or whatever. I like to make up my own mind about someone. A lot of time it is half truths and exaggerations anyway. I personally would excuse myself from the conversation or let it go in one ear and out the other.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2011