Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullying in school - What can legally be done?

I'm in Northern California. My best friend's son is being harrassed and bullied in school. He is a fourth grader and this has been going on for 3 years now. He is constantly teased, physically assaulted, harrassed, etc. His mom has tried to get the school to take action, has gone to the superintendent, the police, etc. Her son keeps getting all the punishment while the group of boys who bully him are mostly left alone. My friend's son has had two suspensions for defending himself while being jumped by this group of boys. The bullies have followed him home, knocking him off his bike, and assaulting him in the front yard of his home. My friend called the police one that one but because the boys are all 9 - 10 and this town has the mentality of "Boys will be boys", nothing was done.

So I told my friend to get a lawyer but she wants to try to solve this problem before taking legal actions against the boys and the school district.
What else should she do? She has contacted the teacher, principal, superintendent, and the police.

Answer Question

Asked by I-am-Jen at 11:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • tv and newspaper! let them show how the schools are doing NOTHING!! then somewill have to take action, or held resposible!

    Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Pull him out of the school if possible. If these kids are that hellbent on making his life miserable, maybe a different school or a private school would be a better place for him. Right now he's probably not in a position where he's learning anymore, he's in a scared, initimidated, anxiety-ridden place for him. This sounds awful! If the school is dropping the ball on it, your friend needs to do whatever it is she can to protect her son. Next time those kids knocked on my door to harass my son, I'd have a personal sit down with all of them and straighten their wagons out.

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Has she tried talking to the parents it might not do any good but you never know they might not know whats going on.

    I know you said she has contacted the superintendent but has she filed a formal complaint. If not she should start a paper trail and do so.

    I would keep calling the police just because one cop doesn't do anything doesn't mean the next one won't she can demand a report at least be made again paper trail.


    Answer by Charis76 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • If she wants to press charges for assult, since it was off school grounds, don't the police have to follow throught? And if it's on school grounds, the school has a responsibility to keep every child safe from danger. Yes, i would definately contact a lawyer. I'm so so sorry this is happening to someone. I agree with you. She has to keep her son safe, even if that means rippling the waters.

    Answer by boobarandbell at 11:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Thank you all for the info. I will let her know to keep a paper trail and pull her son from that school. Thanks again.

    Comment by I-am-Jen (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • i would get it on video and take it to the parents immediately...if she cant get it on video, go to the parents anyhow. If they wont do anything, tell them that if you see them do anything like that again, you will be pressing charges. Yess boys will be boys but this is too far, they should not be told it is ok to gang up on someone.
    Personally I may have my husband go and talk to the boys (not to threaten, just to inform) and put my son in martial arts. It teaches them discipline and self defense (obviusl never to use it as a weapon offensively) All three of my boys are going to know how to handle themselves and I have no problem with them ending something someone else started.

    Answer by sarlove01 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I agree,have a paper trail. file a complaint with everyone who can help. First the school, then the super. then the mayor. Let them know that you have no problem contacting the news paper or station, on a slow news day, they may run the story and the school will look bad. If nothing is done after every complain has been in writing, hire a lawyer, they are not protecting this boy as they should

    Answer by JLS2388 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I would raise holy hell with the school and I would file a police report as well to have record that this is happening and the school is not stepping up to help correct it.

    Answer by monshine2 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Thank you Ladies for all the advice. I told my friend all the advice you all said and she said she is going to do most of it. Again Thank you. And as another note....I will be looking into different schools for my DD since she was supposed to attend that school next school year. I cannot trust the school to keep my little one safe.

    Comment by I-am-Jen (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I would take him out of school, the bullying is hurting him in so many ways. Press charges against the kids that are physically attacking him. What is the matter with their parents call them, ask the school to call them and have a meeting at the school, after you have take him out. of school He needs yoyr help he can not do this by himself he is a child. God Bless you both.

    Answer by genevieve55 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.