Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

School Bullies - What can legally be done?

I'm in Northern California. My best friend's son is being harrassed and bullied in school. He is a fourth grader and this has been going on for 3 years now. He is constantly teased, physically assaulted, harrassed, etc. His mom has tried to get the school to take action, has gone to the superintendent, the police, etc. Her son keeps getting all the punishment while the group of boys who bully him are mostly left alone. My friend's son has had two suspensions for defending himself while being jumped by this group of boys. The bullies have followed him home, knocking him off his bike, and assaulting him in the front yard of his home. My friend called the police one that one but because the boys are all 9 - 10 and this town has the mentality of "Boys will be boys", nothing was done.

So I told my friend to get a lawyer but she wants to try to solve this problem before taking legal actions against the boys and the school district.
What else should she do? She has contacted the teacher, principal, superintendent, and the police.

Answer Question

Asked by I-am-Jen at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Get a lawyer, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT and go after the school district and police department. Most schools around here have a zero tolerance policy on bullying. Find out what the WRITTEN policy is and go after that.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • lawyer, document, and if possible take the son to the hospital (after calling cops) everytime he is assaulted. i think if this is persistent she needs to get the law involved! poor kid. i worry about that so much!


    Answer by JOR_HAIL at 11:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I'd pull the kid out of school pronto, and homeschool him.

    Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • she has tried for three years!! Get a lawyer!

    Answer by dancer at 12:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • First, TAKE HIM OUT OF THE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! Second, SUE the school. parents and police department. 9 and 10 year olds can be arrested. Tell the school you are going to sue for failure to protect and they may change their attitudes. Make sure you have lots of documentation of all these instinses. Contact an attorney and be prepared to fight.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Thank you Ladies for all the advice. I told my friend all the advice you all said and she said she is going to do most of it. Again Thank you. And as another note....I will be looking into different schools for my DD since she was supposed to attend that school next school year. I cannot trust the school to keep my little one safe.

    Comment by I-am-Jen (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Tell your friend to get a lawyer and sue the school. go to the police station and file a report and if the police don't do any thing sue them too.


    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.