I have a friend whose 6 year old daughter won't come near our house anymore unless we put the dog upstairs. He's never bitten or jumped on anyone and I don't feel like I should lock him up just to accommodate her.

Am I being insensitive to her needs? I get frustrated every time I want to invite her family to dinner only to get the response "Why don't you come here instead?" We have a new puppy. He gets a little friendly when people come in the door, but then calms down. We don't relegate him downstairs when people come over because we are training him to coexist with all kinds of people. I have found her to be incredibly overprotective of her kids which has caused friction in the past, but I do like her...just wish she could relax.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's your house, do what you want. If the puppy has never bitten her, I see no reason why you should have to lock him up.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my 3 yo is terrified our my friends little dog. he jumps up and my kids freaks!! i appreciate the fact that she puts the dog up when we are over. we are not there to get my child over his fear of dogs, we are there to have FUN!!! it is not going to kill the dog to put it up for a few hours. which is more important, your friendship or your dog? and besides, who are we to decide what is overprotective and what is "just right"?
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I too have had to put my dog in a different room when certain people would come over to the house. I guess I didn't see it as a big deal, I want my guests to feel comfortable in my house. Some people can't help being frightened of dogs anymore than some people can help being frightened by insects/reptiles/rodents/etc.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Can I say something to her or is that futile?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What is a little friendly? If that is her only request I dont see why it is such a problem? she wants her daughter to be comfortable and you want your dog to be apart of the action. I dont see a way to compromise on this, if you want them at your house, put your dog elsewhere?! Not everyone is pet friendly, so Im sorry...idk....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hhhmm that's a good question. My oldest is SCARED TO DEATH of her father's dog (it's a little hyper!) But she's scared to death of a weener dog, she's only 2, not sure if it's because of her age, or what (never been bitten btw!) So when my kids' go over, he locks the dog up, then let's him out for a period of time to get her used 2 him. In your case, i'm not sure if that's rude or not, maybe i would just keep him in a room or basement w/e while that family, and only that family can get used to him? atleast the daughter.....If you feel you can't bring yourself to do that, then I would just stop inviting the family over, suggest having dinner at there house? =)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• your dog might not of done something to her but maybe another one has... and that could lead to a fear of all dogs... you should just ask and see.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

Comment by Anonymous (original poster)

You can ask why. Has she been bitten by a dog before? That would make a difference. I'd put the dog in another room. But, my sister wants me to put my dog in another room because she doesn't want dog hair on her clothes. To that, I say too bad.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would put up the dog. I have a very calm lab who doesn't jump but will greet you at the door, and I would still feel just fine putting her up for someone who is not dog friendly.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a little neighbor girl that is deathly afraid of dogs and she won't come around our house either unless we put our dogs away. Keeps her away this way they have never biten her but apparently she got bit somewhere & is scared of them. But if I wanted to invite them for dinner I would put the dog away.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011