is this irresponsible?

I accidently left my sons toy at the church playground after church and when I came back there were kids playing with it. I have no problem with that because we like to share. So i just asked the little girl if i could have it back I explained that it was my sons and his name was on it (VERY OBVIOUSLY, huge tag right on the back) Well, as she handed it to me... she said that "these pieces came off" I looked at it and asked, how that happen. She said that she pulled them off (I have myself tried to pull them off to make sure my son wasnt able and I couldnt with out great force). I asked why she would do that and she said she didnt know. I asked where her mother was and she said she didnt know. So after standing there for 10 minutes talking to this girl (a few other kids were there too) Her father came over. I let him know what happened and he offered to pay for it. I told him that it wasnt neccessary (even though i really wanted him too, i figured the girl was embarrassed enough). The father didnt apologize, he just told me that he was sitting in his car in the parking lot and saw a bunch of kids thowing my childs stuff around (so it was not just his daughter) I just paused, then looked at the girl and said thank you for being honest with me about breaking the toy and left. To be honest i was pretty ticked. I mean kids are kids but WHY was the parent not supervising her? She looked maybe six... I would never leave my kid on a playground and sit in my car... i mean its not like there were not benches at the playground...
Also, i heard him tell her as I left, "Thats why i tell you not to play with others toys" REALLY??? How about thats why you should treat others things like you treat your own...how about thats why you shouldnt destroy other peoples things?
Like i said, i have no problem with kids playing with a toy they find...what kid wouldnt want to? But why dont you teach your kids to RESPECT others things?
anyhow, before anyoe sayd anything I REALIZE I was the one who left it... but that doesnt give anyone license to destroy it :( I wouls NEVER let my children break another childs toy.
Question is would you? Do you let your kids play unsupervised or sit in the car 50 feet away while they do?

sarlove01

Asked by sarlove01 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• my dad would do the same thing with me, i think some men just dont get it
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No way! There's not enough time to get to your kid when someone's about to snatch them, or if they have to use the restroom. What an interactive dad! Clearly he's father of the year, with how he handles allowing his kid to play with other peoples' toys. If he didn't want his kid playing with other peoples' toys, he should have been there and said, That's not yours, leave it there, please. Or actually teach her how to play with things without being destructive! Geez, people! Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do beyond what you did.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• NO! my son is 9 and we have a park down the block from us and I stay at the park while he plays. It only takes a second for a stranger to grab a kid and run!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 12:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• At least she was honest. I say that's one up on the kid.
    As for your actual question...I don't even go to the park with my kids any more. They are 10, 9, 8 and almost 5. The older 3 have walked themselves since the summer started when we lived in Chicago (park was around the corner). Then we moved here (WA state) and they walk their little sister the 2 blocks to the playground and they all play. They have been playing outside alone for years (since the oldest was 7). The 4yo even walks to and from her friend's house alone (she lives 4 houses down). If we do take the kids to the park (one not near our house) we just sit and chat while the kids play. We're usually off from the playground where there is less noise. But I would have definitely stopped the kids if I was there and saw them destroying other people's things. I don't see anything wrong with what the dad did.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 1st off I would never leave my sons sight
    2nd- I want to give my husband full credit on this one! He would also not leave his sons side and would be there on the ground playing with him.
    3rd- I plan to teach my child and any future child of ours that you need to respect a toy or anything just like you would your own and if you dont respect others or your own then you dont deserve to play with it/have it.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Ive seen it happen.. general disrespect of property that isn`t theirs and no parents in sight. I was at wally world a couple of weeks ago and I saw a 10 yr old kid jamming a pencil in the coin slot of a change machine. I looked for his mom or dad. Nobody around. So I looked at him, gave him my best "mom is not happy" look, shook my head slightly. He saw me and quickly slunk off.. I use that machine and it sometimes is out of order due to somebody putting things in the coin slot..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Atleast the child was honest, that says something about the parenting. How the father handled it was probably the best he could do, after all, he did ask to pay for the toy, therefore he was taking responsibility even though he saw other kids playing with the toy...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011