Working moms

Do you think you could handle being a SAHM?

I recently learned I would pretty much suck at it LOL! I spent a week home with my son while his day care was closed and it was probably one of the laziest weeks of my life! We slept in late, watched TV, played, ate, and naped. I think I cleaned for maybe 2 hours out of the entire week! After it all I told my husband he's lucky I work because I'd be a horrible housewife! At least is was a fun week with my little boy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• It sounds like you had a great week, and a well-deserved break!!

I became a SAHM 3 years ago after pregnancy complications and then preemie issues forced me to quit my job. I'd worked all my life, I was sure I wouldn't be able to do it and I'd get bored and lazy. I treat being a SAHM like a job, and I've found that I enjoy it. My DH brags to everyone about me, so he thinks I do a good job.

It's not for everyone, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. (The first year was rough!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, I'd be terrible at it. I am not domesticated at all, and I would be miserable trying to be.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am almost 40 years old and I have had at least one job, if not two or three at a time. I have 3 children and my average workweek was anywhere between 45 and 80 hours per week. I took one year off when I moved back to Alabama in 2008 to be a SAHM. In some areas I was so lost, what to do with my time? I was finding all kinds of things that needed to be repaired with our 1940s home, yet I wasn't working so there was no money to do repairs...it was very frustrating to me. Now that I am back at work full time, there are days that I wish I did stay at home with my 3 year old, but then I am reminded that If i want anything like a new car, or clothes that are pretty...I have to work because there is no extra money if I don't work. Its a catch 22 situation, you give up spending time with your childrend in order to give your children a future and clothes and a nice place to live. My hats off to women that are SAHM's
    firefairybelle

Answer by firefairybelle at 12:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think I could handle it just fine. I know with me though I work for the school so I feel like I am a little of both as I have the summers off all the breaks and whatnot.
    I was a SAHM with my oldest 2 until my daughter was 5 and my son was 3 when I was forced to go to work they are 33 & 30 now.
    I think that you would just have to find yourself a routine and go with that I think after a week or 2 it would get to where you wanted to do more. That's the way I am for the 1st week or 2 after schools out I just do whatever but that quickly comes to an end with all the flowers, weeding and such
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• im with anng.atlanta
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Being a SAHM is not for me either- I do it in the summer and on school vacations but I'm not very good at it. I'm a procrastinator so I always wait till the last minute to do everything, but when you have all the time in the world nothing gets done!!! I love being able to spend the time with my son, but the monotony of it just doesn't work for me. I give the moms who can do it alot of credit!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i would be a horrible horrible horrible stay at home mom. its not for me. i did it last week when my dd daycare was off and boy was i miserable and bored and its just not for me. yes there is loundry to be done and dishes and house work but then its very difficult to do things with her hang on to me. its just not for me. hats off for all of you that can do it. i love to work.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was one for six years yes I stank at it every day but I was glad to go back to school and work.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have been a sahm for 2+ years. I recently got a job. It's only PT, 20 hour weeks, 5 hour shifts. I work at night and have weekends off. I love the schedule. SO works all day and comes home to hang out with ds while I go to work. Things are still the same, I do the house cleaning, meals, etc, I just go to a paying job at the end of the day lol. It's been a struggle for quite some time. Being a sahm was best for ds, but we struggled with bills. I dont make a lot of money PT, but the check can pay 1 or 2 bills which really helps us! I am exhausted at the end of the day, walking up early and being stressed about my sons terrible-2'isms all day long, doing chores, fitting in a playdate here and there, then working 7 till midnight at a distribution center, but it sure keeps me busy! Nice change actually. I was getting bored.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would love to try.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011