bed wetting?

my son is three years old he is potty trained, but keeps peeing his bed and I dont know how to get him to stop. Its an every night thing and i am getting sick of having to wash his bedding everyday. I dont want to put a diaper on him because I am affraid that he will learn that it is ok to do this. I have taken away his sippy at night I tell him everynight if he needs to go he needs to get up and go to the bathroom. I am not really sure what else to do. Maybe you ladies have an idea to solve this problems. Thanks!

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It takes time for some children to stop going at night. I didn't use pull-ups on my son we had the plastic coated undies, he thought pull-ups were just diapers so he used them lol. But I explained that those were nighttime underwear 'just in case' and he seemed to understand fine. Once he'd gone about a month without a nighttime accident we stopped using them and never looked back.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Your son could have a small bladder. I'd put him back in a diaper. My boys all have this problem. My 10 year old wet the bed until last year. He HATED it but he couldn't help it. My 5 year old still wets the bed, again, not because he wants to. ANd it's not a parenting issue. None of my girls have wet the bed past 2. And my youngest son doesn't seem to have this problem...only time will tell.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 4 and has been potty trained for 2 1/2 years and for the past month to month and a half, she has started wetting the bed. I took her cup and wont let her have anything but a sip of water after 7pm, make her potty before bed. Nothing worked. My ped. told us that kids get stressed just like us and they dont understand whats gong on and it can result in bed wetting, as well as big changes in their lives. I became a lot more patient with Courtney ( not so easy as she is at that age of testing everyone) and tried to explain things to her on her level and things have been alot more better. I am not saying thats what wrong with your son, just what my experience has been. Good luck and I hope things get better for you!
    hhmm702

Answer by hhmm702 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My 3 year old wets the bed too (is potty trained) I'm not sure how to get her to stop...some say to wake them up in the middle of the night and take them to the restroom or to take away their cup (but you already did that) I put my daughter in shorts that are like pull ups, but she thinks pull ups are diapers so she wont wear them...so these shorts make her feel more secure and still a big girl and we call them night time shorts.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 10:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my dd is 4 and she just stopped doing the night wets. and yes shes been potty trained. but its a routine thing, and you have to be on top of it. first, after you brush his teeth then you make him potty and go right to bed. then in the middle of the night (his sleeping pattern) go wake him and bring him to tinkle. and when he wakes up in the morning be right there and make him go tinkle in the toilet. pretty soon he will get the hang of it. Oh I would invest in night night pullups. just in case. hey mine still wears them even though she hasnt had an accident. can never be too sure
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 7:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my friend's son has that same problem... what they did was to keep the non flushing kiddy toilet next to his bed... that way if he had to go it was right there... she said he wet the bed mostly because he was scared to leave his room to go down the hall to the bathroom... so they keep his potty chair in his room just for that... he still sleeps with it even though he is now almost five... but it has helped them a lot by doing that.
    ilovenikhil

Answer by ilovenikhil at 10:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008