My child has no appetite

My 7 year old has no appetite, she will eat 5 bites of something and say she is full. She will however eat a whole bar of chocolate ! I dont know how to get her to eat. Her pediatrician says she is fine. But i see her skinny body and her bones sticking out and i feel like crying. Is there any vitamins out there or any supplement that will help her to gain weight?  My oldest daughter was the same way and then outgrew it.  I dont know if its something many kids go through.  My oldest daughter though was not as thin as my youngest is now.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she eats only 5 bites of a meal. At least she ate something. As long as it was not junk food. If you give her a snack later. Make sure it is healthy food. Fruit,whole grain toast, stuff like that. Stop letting her eat candy.

Answer by louise2 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• She is normal. When my girls don't eat much for breakfast, lunches or dinner. They get a healthy snack. Kids are good at knowing when they are hungry or not. WE as adults loss that. Because we were told we had to eat everything on our plates. She is getting her vitamins that is great.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• She takes the vitamins, 2 a day.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• as long as her eating habits aren't affecting her development and growth, she is fine. i know it's hard not to worry when your child doesn't eat enough, but odds are she's fine.

right now my 4 year old though is underweight. wic and her pediatrician confirmed it. apparently it's a HUGE deal that she's lost 2 pounds in 3 months rather than gained anything. so i am now to start giving her carnation instant breakfast WITH her meals, twice a day, using the powder kind and mixing it with whole milk to try and fatten her up. you could always give that a try, but id recommend talking to her doctor about it first.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thanks ladies, great advice , now i dont feel so bad. And yes, definitely no more chocolate,. i only will give it to her once in a while. Thanks.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son takes Pediasure. It was recommended by his pediatrician since my son needs to gain weight.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 10:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011