Is my daughter ready for kinder?

My family just moved from another state. i wanted to put my daughter in pre-k but it never happened. I went and bought her a pre-k workbook. everyday we work on it and she has learned all her letters. she recognizes them all. we are on numbers now. she can count to 20 but is still learning what each number looks like. I just wanted to know if she is on the right track or what else I'm forgetting to teach her? i just don't want her to start kinder behind all the other children who have attended pre-k.

Christieluv0614

Asked by Christieluv0614 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are being such a good mom! When my daughter started kindergarten she knew her numbers and letters and could even read simple books. The teacher wanted to know where she went to preschool and I said that she had only stayed home with me and I purchased workbooks and played school with her. The teacher was so impressed and I was shocked when she told me that MOST of her students (who went to pre k) could not really count or read letters. Your child is ahead of the game and everything will come more easily because you took the time to be a proactive parent. I found great cheap workbooks at Walmart (in Indiana) My girl was doing first grade books before she went to kindergarten. Children are so much more capable than we give them credit for! good luck! PS piano lessons even at an early age expand the mind and coordination. You sound like the type of parent to try that with your child as well as the school books.
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• colors, shapes, independent activity, writing her name by copying it that is all I can think of.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Can she write her name? In upper and lower case.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have three children, none of whom attended preschool or daycare, who all perform well in school. As long as you are supplementing anything she is learning in school, also at home, I'm sure your daughter will be fine. From my experience in volunteering in kindergarten classrooms, usually what determined if a child was ready for school or not was maturity, rather than their skill level. Good luck, and trust your gut.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Most of the children coming into K will not know their numbers or letters. Just the letters of their names.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• One more sorry, make sure she can hold a pencil correctly. A lot of children in my son's class had to have a OT come in to teach them to hold a pencil because their parents didn't feel that was necessary.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The sounds that the letters make, shapes, colors
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2011