I go 6 miles out of my way to pick up a co-worker and 22 miles to work each day. How much should my rider pay?.

Taxi119

Asked by Taxi119 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Maybe he should fill up the tank 2 times a week?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was going to suggest that - when I had a rider and commuted, she put gas in my car once a week. Or whatever we felt was fair. So no money exactly, but I'd figure the gas mileage and keep track of the miles, then come to an acceptable agreement you're both comfortable with :)

Good luck!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Half at minimum.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'd say half of the gas for the round trip. Then you are still absorbing the wear and tear cost on the car. It would cost them twice as much plus the car maintenance if they drove themselves. If they don't like that they can find another ride.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• How much does it coast you to fill up yor car? Do you fill it up once a week? Or once every 2 weeks? I would make the person pay half the gas price.

Answer by louise2 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'd agree with the other women ... plus or minus a coffee once in a while if you drive by someplace convenient;)
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I dont know.........when I picked up a co worker that was 5 miles out of my way I charged for the 10 miles a day. I have to drive to work anyways. Alot of times she got dropped off and I didnt charge anything I appreciated not riding alone.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The fair way would be total amt out of your way (12 miles) + 1/2 total commute (22). 12 +22 = 34 . Then figure the gas mileage for your car. If your car gets 20 mpg, then each mile is the current price of gas ($3) divided by mpg (20) = $3/20 = 15 cents of gas per mile.

Multiply 15 cents x total miles 34 = $5.10/day. Multiply by how many days a week you provide transportations $5.10 x 5 days = $25.50/week.

I'd ask for money on a weekly basis, as the cost of gas fluctuates so much.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 6:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011