why can't you give babies 2% or whole milk at 7 months old

I'm just wondering why people say wait until a baby is over a year old before you give them milk.

vdegraffenreid

Asked by vdegraffenreid at 10:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A few reasons. One being that their stomachs (most babies) can not handle it yet. Another reason is that some people think they can use milk INSTEAD of breastmilk or formula, and then their kids do not receive the nutrients NEEDED in the first year and beyond to grow properly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• it is not easily digested by a babies stomach, and can cause them to have upset stomach. Plus it does NOT have everything in it that the formula (breastmilk) has and a baby needs it. I'm sure you can check with your dr. and they will tell you in detail why..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• the milk especially 2% does not have the right fat content and other nutrients needed to support babies growth and development. It is also harsh on their little tummies. I started my son on milk at 10 months, he did excellent with it. He did worse on formula because he had severe reflux
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ive also heard that Cows milk has to high of a salt content....
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• stomach's can't hanlde it yet. Why is 12 months the magic number? Just typically tends to be when the intestines develope enough to handle. Why no 2%, b/c babies need the extra fat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2008