I have an illness that is usually terminal, so I take medication to control it. Last week my doctor adjusted my medicine...

and all day since I woke up I have been feeling nauseated and am very dizzy off and on. My friend came over over to sit with me and my babies because I can't take care of them today since the dizziness is the worst part, it comes and goes very suddenly.

My problem is, I started work at a new job at the start of November, and I am afraid to call in because my boss has been overly critical since I started work. I was thinking I could call my boss's boss and explain to him (he's the one that hired me).

I guess my question is, how much should I say if I do let him know what's going on? I did call my doctor but he hasn't got back to me yet. But I'm sure he would give me a note backing up what I say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Health

• I would be honest w/ him to the point of saying that you just got a new prescription from your dr and you are having bad side effects from it. Is the medicine going to continue to effect you this way, or does the dr. need to change it again? Best of luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would call your immediate boss, not his boss. If you call his boss, I think that would piss him off more than you calling in. If he gets pissy with you then call his boss, but not before.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would be honest with the boss about it. It may be discrimination if he punishes you for it. Talk to your doc again, too. He might be able to write a note or something. From my perspective, if an employer is insensitive to your needs as a worker (where would he be without workers?), then you need to fight it, bring attention to it, file a complaint, anything. Too many workers are exploited by greedy bosses.
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011