How do I get my 16 year old to go to school?

He's a good kid but every Monday and Tuesday he just refuses to go to school. I have spoken with him about dropping out and he doesn't want to do that. He promises me every week that next week will be different but it never is. I've punished him and he just dosen't care. Help.

talkbox

Asked by talkbox at 10:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• You put him in the car and take him there. Why i s he not waning to go on those days? I wouldn't let it be an option I have 16 year old boy and he would not be calling the shots what is a 16 year old gonna do if he drops out if he doesn't want to go to school he is not gonna want to work then he has the potential to just get in trouble with all the idle time
    Talk to the school officer see if they can help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i would take away his cell phone, computer and cut off any financial extras until his attendance is back on track for a while. material things really speak volumes to teenagers.

i have a teenage daughter. she was giving me a hard time about something (i don't remember what it was). i cut off her internet access for 2 days. that really worked!
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 10:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Drag his butt there. If he is too big for you to do that, have the school security or police do it.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Since it's only those 2 days I would call the guidance counselor and find out what happens those days that he may be avoiding. If his school has a resource officer (police officer in the school) you could talk to him and see what suggestions he has. To the "put his butt in the car and take him" responses, I know there is no way I could get my son in the car if he didn't want to get in, and even if you get him to school and walk him to the door, he can just walk out when you leave. If you are already punishing, it seem like there is something more that you need to get to the bottom of with the help of the school.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ask him why the Monday and Tuesday? Its not a long vacation .....Its life,.. he needs to learn this...life will not...just bow down to his wants, i would give him an ultimatum...go to school..or get out...

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• call the truancy cop from your school and have them come get the child. you will be held responsible for not making them go and can get jail time. you are only allowed so many missed days. so i would let them know and do the work. sometimes that scares the kids and tell them what legal ramifications that can happen. i'm sure that he won't wnat his mother or father in jail or have to pay courts costs. this worked for my kid.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Take him to school, have your husband take him...and sit in each of his classes for a day or two, until he gets it. And I agree with previous poster, why would you give him the option of dropping out?? Not sure where you live, but in CA, you have to be 18 before you are allowed to drop out, even with parental consent. And I think that's good! Best of luck.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 1:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree with tomsbride. 99% of kids would be horrified to think that you might sit in class with them. This is what I have told my teens...if they skip out of classes, I will be personally escorting them to and from each class until I feel they can handle it on their own.
    Do have him checked for depression, and find out if there is a certain class or some event on those days that might be bothering him. But don't give him the option to drop out. If you need to, find some younger person (20's or so) who dropped out and regret it now, and let them have a good talk about how things are in the real world with no high school diploma. I've heard even McDonald's will no longer hire without a high school diploma, if you're of age where you should have one.
    Anonymous

• Uh yea...you give him 2 options. Option A- talk to you in depth about what is bothering him on those days , so they can figure out how to adjust it. If not then Option B- will physically take him to school each day and sit in class. If he wont geti n the car, make his dad come get him. Still wont do it, make the school cops come get him and accompany him to classes until he is ready to talk. DONT BE SOFT ON THIS!! Education is an important priority and suggesting dropping out, is a little surprising to me. He has to get his diploma, so....
    Anonymous

• Ok Im goin threw the same thing.I thought I was the only one...every week,He tells me he's gonna start going in on time.WELP... not happening.every morning I get aggrivated,trying to get him out the door.Im at my wits end. sometimes if he goes in by lunch he considers that going to school.He dont want to drop out either.my son is in 12th grade.
    I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND.what im supposed to do either..if you involve the athorities they want to press unruly charges if you want to or not..(easier said than done)I think its a disiplinary prob.and the more you take away the better off it'll be..I took his car away and he acually went on time today,YOU cant threaten you have to do do do..take away something that meens the world to him.If hes anything like my kids the cellphone hits them where it hurts..if you cant take it away go online and block it till he earns it back..cheaper on your wallet to:)I did it to my daughter IT WORKS.
    kelkel08

Answer by kelkel08 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008