how can i get my 18 mth old to quit the pacifer?

MoM2TwObAbIeS24

Asked by MoM2TwObAbIeS24 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your baby is still young, I took it off mine with many many months after they turned two telling them that the pacifier was for babies and eventually they let go.

Answer by older at 1:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Why does she need to quit it?

If left alone MOST kids will give it up all on their own by age 4 or 5.

Or you just take it away and deal with the cries.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Take it away. The sooner, the better.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 we leave it in his bed and he gets it at nap and bed time... if he wants it other times he goes in bed....its a start then when my daughter turned 3 I said she can have it for one more night she decided she was big and gave it up that night it was a rough day or so but she did fine
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ok my daughterwas lovin her binky, so what we did when she turned 1 was we took all of thm out o the house but herfav one, then the first day I cut it inthe middle an then a few days later started cutting parts of it off and b4 it was all gone she got so mad she threw in the trash on her own. it worked like a charm and less than a month and never had problems afterwards
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• thnx i will try the cutting thing i just have to get him off it its already starting to affect his teeth
    MoM2TwObAbIeS24

Comment by MoM2TwObAbIeS24 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• By the time my grandson turned two, he could only have his pacifier, which was attached to a little teddybear, at bedtime.When he turned two, they began cutting off a little from the tip about every two weeks until after a couple of months the entire nipple was gone and all he had was the plastic holder and the little teddy bear it was attached to. Every once in a while, he'd say "oh oh" when he saw so much of it was missing but that was all. It worked great - no tears or tantrums. Good luck.
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 4:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thats what I did...I put a cut in it and she threw it away saying it was broken....but be careful that parts of it cant break off and choke the baby.
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well I think I lucked out here. My son came down with a cold around Thanksgiving, and he couldn't breathe with the paci. I just stopped giving it to him and he never asked for it again. (Not that I hope your kid gets sick! LOL)
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• throw them away, the quicker its gone the quicker they will forget about it...the first 3 days are the worst
    mathenymom08

Answer by mathenymom08 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011