"Peaches"= Boy or Girl?

I call DS(2 1/2yrs) "Peaches" all the time. I also call him, "Baby", "Sweetie", "Dear", "Honey", "Buddy", "Bub", "Love", "Handsome", "Bug", and a bunch of other things.

Well, yesterday I was at Wal*Mart with my mom and DS. DS wanted to push the cart so I was letting him. He let go at one point and I said "C'mon Peaches. This way." She flipped out on how I call him a "girl" nickname and that is wrong and how I shouldn't call him that anymore and there was no way in hell she would be caught dead around me in public if I was going to keep calling him that. I rolled my eyes and kept on shopping.

I thought most pet names were interchangeable. I've called him "Peaches" since the day he was born. Is "Peaches" really a "girl" pet name?

NicholasMama608

Asked by NicholasMama608 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah, it kind of is, but it's nothing for anyone to "flip out" over.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It is on the girly side, but it's nobody's business but your own!! That other woman had no business saying a word to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it can be for both
    Does your mom figure Honey is for girls only too? lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• When I hear Peaches, I think girl, but I wouldn't flip out over it.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Personally, yes when I think of calling someone Peaches, I would associate it with a girl. However I don't think its something to get all up in arms about.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it's cute.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, peaches is a girl nicknames. In fact, do you remember A League of Their Own...the girls baseball team was the Georgia Peaches. I've known two girls in my lifetime with the nickname Peaches. I think calling a boy that is weird and way too feminine. Even 112 had a song where they are singing to a girl calling her Peaches and cream. There is a Barbie from 1984 also named Peaches and Cream.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's just a nickname. I called my son Petunia. It was really just what came out. I wish people would mind their own business. It's not like you really named him that. Go on calling him whatever you like! He's yours!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In the south it wouldnt be a big deal, its a term of endearment same as saying "what a peach you are" and that goes either way, its a fruit name - how is it for only girls?, its not embarrassing, femine or anything to freak out about, Id freak out if you called him butt-head or something like that maybe.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i use to call this kid who was gay "peaches" he loved it lol
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 5:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2011