What do you think of this quote by Thomas Jefferson?

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

This could also fit in the P&CE section, as Jefferson was one of the Founding Fathers of this nation, helped write the Declaration of Independence, and was outspoken against religion playing any role in government.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it's a great quote, and I believe in God.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't question the existence of God, but I do like the quote :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I dig it, It's very true. Thomas Jefferson was a very spiritual man, but he was against any organized religion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't believe that Jefferson was outspoken against religion playing any role in government. I do believe he was against government playing any role in religion.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have lost the only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath?" Jefferson, 1794

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I like it, and I agree - God would prefer us to question and search for understanding than to merely accept or believe out of fear. Part of why Pascal's Wager bothers me so much. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Love Jefferson, love the quote and agree with missanc about Jefferson/govt/religion.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I love it, thanks for posting! I agree, question everything before deciding. Don't rely on faith and fear alone.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I also love it, and definitely agree! Any path I choose must also include questioning, logic and reason. Essentially I accept the idea that you should...Believe nothing. Question everything~Buddha

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i like it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ditto pam19. Thanks for answering for me, LOL!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011