41% of all NYC pregnancies end in abortion?

NEW YORK (WABC) -- New and eye-opening statistics about the rate of abortions in New York City have been released by the Health Department. It raises questions about the effectiveness of current birth control education. 41% of all New York City pregnancies end in abortion. The rate for minorities is even higher.

Broken down by race for 2009:

Specifically non-Hispanic Blacks have a 59.8% abortion rate.

Hispanics have a 41.3% abortion rate.

Asians have a 22.7% abortion rate.

And non-Hispanic Whites have a 20.4% abortion rate.

While the % is an improvement since 1998, 12 years ago, the number was actually 46%.

~~~

In your opinion

41% a good number compared to 1998?

41% still too high, even compared to 1998?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• A 41% abortion rate is absurd. I don't think it has to do with poverty, as much as it has to do with irresponsibility. Lets face it... at least 97% of abortions are because the woman wanted sex but not a child. People aren't stupid, they know unprotected sex leads to pregnancy...they just don't care. Abortion is widely available and legal, so "mistakes" can be dealt with.
    Sound harsh? Yeah, I know. That why abortion disgusts me.
    How hard is it to take one pill at the same time everyday? Why would a woman still climb into bed with a man who says "Aww, a condom? I really hate those things...do I have to?" I'd say, "Nope. You don't have to wear a condom. And now you can go home, because I'm not interested in you now."
    Women do have a "choice"...its just that the choice comes BEFORE there is another life to be considered.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It is very sad to me that all of these women are getting pregnant when they don't want to. It's really terrifying to think of how these women are also leaving themselves exposed to contracting sexually transmitted diseases. If they weren't ready/didn't want a baby, I'm sure they weren't ready/didn't want HIV, either. I know a good percentage of women who get abortions are married, but not all of them are.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If it doesn't tell you anything about why the abortions occured it's impossible to spectulate about the effectiveness of birth control education.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• if they dont want the babies - i am glad they are sparing them a life of hell....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Abortion is always going to be high, no matter who agrees with it and who doesn't.

When you're talking about abortion, a certain % is never "a good number" compared to another.

The only good number will be 0! Period.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• at least 97% of abortions are because the woman wanted sex but not a child

and the MEN?"

Well, men aren't the ones getting abortions and they actually don't have any legal say in the matter.

Nope they are just the ones knocking up all these women...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Bottom line: We can't control men and their decisions, we can only control ourselves and our decisions.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It may take 2 to make a baby. It only takes one responsible woman to not make an irresponsible choice that would result in making another irresponsible choice of an abortion.
    myame

Answer by myame at 4:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• As for the debate going on

THIS >> Bottom line: We can't control men and their decisions, we can only control ourselves and our decisions<< from LeanneC
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 1% is too high. While I don't believe we have the right to tell any woman that abortion is illegal, clearly the sex ed programs and knowledge of contraception is lacking.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011