I am about to start my 4 1/2 month old on rice cereal. What brands do you recommend and why?

sdiannec

Asked by sdiannec at 10:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use Earth's Best Organic. It is about 80 cents-$1.00 more but SOOOO much better than the other stuff. If you read the ingredients in Earth's Best, it is all organic stuff that you recognize. If you read the ingredients in the other stuff, there's so much stuff in it that you can't even pronounce...chemicals! Not anything I would want to give my child...so I don't! It can be found at Wegmans, Target and Walmart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't recommend any infant cereal. I think it's gross. Personally, I think your baby is too young, but if you really feel the need for solids, give a fruit or vegetable instead, or even regular oatmeal. The infant stuff is yucky, and has no nutritional value that is not added to it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I also reccomend the Earth's Best. I use breast milk to mix it up and my son LOVE'S it. I totally agree with the first answer. It really helps the baby get used to solids (even tho it is pretty runny). Don't use regualr oatmeal tho... there is a reason there is baby cereal. Hope this helps! :o)
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 11:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I just used gerber worked ifne.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i love gerber its a classic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I waited till 6 months to begin solids, and skipped the cereal. It has very little nutritional value.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I used Gerber Rice cereal, i mixed a little fruit in it to give it a better flavor. Wyatt loves it.
    wyatts_mommy200

Answer by wyatts_mommy200 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We also skipped cereal altogether! I read way too much about it being extremely hard on babies digestion. It is completely ok to go straight to stage 1 baby foods. However, I agree with pp that waiting until 6 months is best. As far brands, Earth's Best is great and my baby likes Beechnut quite well also! HTH:)
    sunnygrl2

Answer by sunnygrl2 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There is no reason that you can't use regular oatmeal for a baby. It's cereal. I just puree it a bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree krockwell, I wouldn't give my daughter regular oatmeal. Like you said, there is a reason there is baby cereal. The baby cereal is just fine. My daughter loved it and I didn't see any problems with digestion.
    Anonymous