My roots are black!!!

I have natural dark brown hair. However, I have been coloring it for ever. It is a dark blonde brown color now that I love.... Anyway, I need my roots done BIG TIME. I was told I could do highlights (foils) but could not do color? Then I was told I cannot do anything> Then I was told I can do whatever I want.... I am soooo confussed.... Alot of my friends who are also color queens went back to there natural color when they found out they were expecting... If I do this, I will HAVE to have color applied on my scalp. It will most likely be the one time then I will not have to touch it the entire pregnancy. Is this safe if it is once? Or am I ok to just do the foils every few months, just as long as they do not touch my scalp?????

superchik

Asked by superchik at 10:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• every dr has different beliefs about this. my dr said it was ok in the last trimester, but my friends dr said it was ok in the first trimester....and both of our kids turned out healthy. i think it may be more the fumes than anything. i suggest asking your dr for their belief and then ask why they think that way so you know. and i also suggest if they say it's ok, get a color as close to your normal and do that for the course of the pregnancy that way when the roots start back, it wont be a big deal
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I colored my hair throughout my pregnancy, after assurance from my OB that it was okay. At the time, my OB was pregnant also and she told me she colored her own hair every 6 weeks. My baby turned out fine. If you decide to color your hair, just be sure you have adequate ventilation, like open windows and doors.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Foiling is better since little to nothing will touch your scalp. A well ventilated room is important. There are people who color all through pregnancy with no side effects. Like others have said call your Dr office and ask.
    nycte

Answer by nycte at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My hair is doing that same since my pregnancys i dont know why but my light blonde hair turned into a brown blonde color with darker roots,
    I did dye my hair....
    Earlier in the pregnancy,

It doesnt hurt anything just be outside or somthing when it sets, i couldnt sit in that smell even if i were not prego it just stinks
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It's not the worst, but I wouldn't do it in the first tri. That is when risk is the greatest.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Haircolor will not harm baby. Color on!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• http://www.justmommies.com/articles/hair-dye-and-pregnancy.shtml
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Do what you want!!!
    My doctor says hair dye is not harmful unless you drink it!!!
    She said it is a myth and it is not proven it is harmful.
    Just do it in moderation, look good and feel good!!! Your baby won't mind.
    (=
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 12:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• hair dye is bad for your baby.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 12:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I color my hair all the time. My doc says it's fine. I just make sure I'm in a well ventilated room.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 4:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008