anyone have any tips for bathing a new born? first time mom and really nervous about this

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We put ours in her lil newborn tub with barely any water, but left the bath water on so we could run her wash cloth under the warm water.. Just go quick.. He/she will probably cry.. but thats normal! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Do it on the floor in front of a heat vent

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Just do a sponge bath until her belly button falls off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I always put a towel under Baby, whether it's in an infant tub or sitting in a sink or wherever. Holds them in place. =) You'll be fine!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It is frightening isn't it, but the baby will not fall apart mom, just make sure you got a good grip with one hand while you wash with the other, you will do just fine.

Answer by older at 2:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with mompam. The bellybutton is not supposed to get wet until the little plug falls off, so I would be sure to use the net prop in a baby tub and do a sponge bath. Be sure to have a warm towel ready. The one's with the little hoodie are good for keeping the head warm. Try to clean the baby quickly to avoid too much exposure to the cool air. Try not to use too much baby soap because you don't yet know what the baby is allergic to. Keep the water warm not hot. Don't worry momma! Your instincts will kick in!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• One thing I would do is have the bath area set up and ready to go before the bath- put the tub in place, put a towel or foam liner in it, fill the tub, have the wash, washcloth and rinse cup standing by, and have a dry towel, diaper and clothes ready as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• As a maternal newborn nurse and mom, I tell new moms until the cord falls off, place the baby on a counter or table with a towel underneath. Wash cleanest to dirtiest. Start with the face and rest of the top half. Dry and cover with towel. Then do legs, feet and end with the bottom. Dry. Wrap baby in towel and wash the hair under a warm faucet holding baby in the football hold. Remember they won't break very easily... Although it does seem scary at first.
    clsrn

Answer by clsrn at 3:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Just make sure you have a new set of cloth, bath towel, diaper, oinment ready on the side. I don't like to sit on the floor to take a bath, so I put the baby tub on top of my dresser and everything else on my bed. It's scary for the first couple of times, but you'll get a hang of it and your baby will enjoy it. I also have a heater on making sure the room is a little warmer. Also, always have a big cup of clean water on the side to rinse off his hair or face. Becareful that the baby can be slippery, so have a nice grip before taking him out of the tub. I don't know if you have a boy or not, but the first time i took bath for my boy he spray me lol, so always have two wash cloths, 1 to cover from spraying.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with mompam.....after the belly button cord falls off i gave my boys baths in a baby tub with little water holding them with one hand and washing with the other. I remember with my first how nerveous i was, it just takes time to get used to it. Congrats on your new baby!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011