my daughter will be staying in the hospital up to ten days after her surgery, if not more, more only if something goes wrong so im hoping & praying it doesnt exceed ten days.. i need help keeping her distracted..ideas?

she will be 5 in March.. she is having part of her colon removed & fixing of her bottom so she is going to be in pain at her bottom, & mostly from the insicion in her abdomen.. so she wont be able to move a lot. She also cant eat or drink, & will have an IV in this whole time which I know from having babies 2 days of an IV is EXTREMELY uncomfotable. I remember staying the night in the hospital w/ her a few times, and just ONE NIGHT was VERY hard to keep her mind off things. The first few days she will be on Morphine, but after that wears off, we have about 6 days of trying to keep her busy with laying in bed.

typical coloring books & movies is not going to cut it for a ten day stay. No one under the age of 14 can come visit, because of the flu reasons.. so she will be missing her two baby sisters, one step age 3 and her sister she is with every second age 1yr. That alone is going to be hard. I need unique ideas of how to keep her busy, her mind of things, & keep her happy. please help!! Any ideas are welcome, I dont care the cost, or how much effort I have to put into it.

Also, this hospital is 2 hours away from our home, I plan on NEVER leaving her side. I will not leave the hospital period for any reason. Ill take a shower in their bathroom if I have to.. i know they have little tiny showers. What are some things you would DEF take with YOU if you were staying strictly in a hospital for ten days away from home? My husband will be visiting every day with my other daughter, so I will see her, but she cant come up to my other daughters room.I am fully aware how difficult it will all be, so i want to make sure im prepared on the little things. im a stay at home mom & have never left my children, so we will have a long road ahead!

also, I will be around 8 1/2 months pregnant when all this is going on, so keep that in mind when you are naming the essentials for the stay!... Thank you all for the ideas!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• You will need to bring books and small things she is connected to when my son had cancer the first time he was in the hospital for three weeks and it almost drove him crazy things they know and things that comfort them eases that stay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would buy her a hand held video game system. My LO's have the vTech Mobigo and LOVE them. My kids got them for Christmas and would play them all day long if I let them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• poor dd xoxo wondering if your dd has what my 5 yr old son has? is it a butt issue? my son has already been at the hospital to be flushed.. 8 hours in the hospital iv's and a tube up his nose it was horrible. what i did was bring what he liked like cars trucks but what was great was we brought his leapster ( he loves it ) and i bought 2 new games. and we played together mind u seeing how he was being flushed he sat on the potty and me on the floor but it distracted him for the 8 hours along with reading. we also played ispy, he also couldnt eat which was hard for me to see him hungry but they allowed me to give him stuff like jolly ranchers and hard candies for him. for u i would say bring a pillow for u to sit on and a book if u get a chance to read best of luck mama xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My girl was in riley a childrens hospital with mrsa and had surgury. The hospital had things to keep them busy like coloring posters, books since had a library. I did take things like special animal, color wonder, tv, bring a dvd player for movies, cards, coloring books, a doll, something to make, for you I would like a puzzle book, books, candy or even snacks, money, coins for vending machines. Sticker books would work as well. I am curious about the surgury cause my youngest is 5 and even since a baby they say colon problems and bladder infections but so far no results except mirlax and give her two cup fulls a day. Hope all goes well and would love to hear more.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i don't know what she'll be able to physically do, but you can try:"hexi bugs"...my son likes to take two or more and put them in their on their platform and watch them scurry around. they're weird, but kids love them, and he will spend so much time watching them, i do to, it's amussing. i got the platform(that came with a bug) and another bug for about $15 at Target. he also made up a game, leaving the flaps open, and then guessing which bug will escape first. also, the dollar stores around here have lots of art type sets, cheap. Suncatchers, markers on felt, etc. There's an art set that you can just scratch with tool that comes with it and make bright pictures, walmart i think has some. "Rush Hour" game. not much moving involved, challenging and fun. I got the mini one at Barnes n noble, also they have a mini simon says game. legos.word searches (for kids). manga doodle board. etchi stetch. puzzles. card games. checkers.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• dominoes. i taught my son when he was about 5, and he loved it. lots of books. you can make a sensory box for her to touch, talk about and explore. take a bunch of different houshold objects. you can make a guessing game of it. she closes her eyes, feels it and tries to guess what it is. some things to put in: feather, cloth, cotton ball, rubber ball, pop cap, wood stick, tissue paper, tissue, puzzle peice...just a bunch of things that you can feel or guess by touch. my son loves to play with it. leappad/books if you have one. fashion plates. the dollar type stores usually carry game type books with dot to dots, and stuff in them. playdough &/or silly putty. stickers and foam stickies for art.

hope any of these help. good luck and my thoughts are with you. your daughter will do great with you by her side!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• to tabby & momindiana..yes, its a bottom problem. she was born with something called anal stenosis which means her bottom was not opened the normal size, but they missed it, missed it all her life until 2 1/2 they misdiagnosed her w/ hirschprungs disease, went in for surgery, and found out she had anal stenosis instead. for being constipated for so long, her colon is too stretched out(part of it, so they have to remove it in order for her to reduce the number of lazatives shes on) she had something called an anoplasty once, and scar tissue built up, so she will be having another one. Ill have to re potty train her, and she is going to have to have an enema a day through her belly button for a long time, maybe even a colostomy bag, but most likely no bag, thank God.

tabby--my daughter had to go through that also, twice, if you are talking about the thing they call "go lightly" that was def. not fun, and those were the
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• overnight stays i mentioned, that were so boring!

thanks for all the ideas everyone, they are helping me(:
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• thanks for the notes. She my girl when she was little would never dirty except when asleep. the doctors here say just constipation but is now 4th antibatic to get rid of bladder infections, here bladder is the size of an adult bladder and is only going have way. She has had lots of work. I hate to give her so much medicne but maybe one day someone will find the problem. You have a long road ahead of you so just hang in there one day at a time. surgury at regular hospital or a childrens hosptial? Take care and if you ever need to talk to someone I will be here for you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter was born with Heirshprungs and has been hospitalized several times for a clean out... She was older but movies were fine for her...
    What about games like Candy land, chutes & ladders, a hand held video game, books to read, coloring, workbooks for her age to work on the alphabet , #'s etc... I'm sure after several days they will want her to get up and move so maybe head down to the play area most children areas have..
    Good luck! She'll do great!
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011