How is this NOT pushing beliefs?

My family, like many others, don't believe in gay marriage...that doesn't mean we hate gays or can't tolerate them. Very young children in school are being taught that homosexuality is "ok". That is the belief of someone else that's being shoved down the throats of young children, is it not? Why can't we leave that stuff to the parents? It shouldn't even be DISCUSSED in school!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I definitely don't think that has any place in schools, its one thing to teach the children to get along with everyone no matter the differences between them but to go as far as to be teaching them its ok is wrong. That should be left up to the parents to explain right and wrong in those areas.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I dont understand the argument "we dont want them to get married (aka have the same rights), but we dont hate them, and we do tolerate them".

That's absolutely backwards. You arent tolerant if youre trying to strip someone of rights. Youre teaching your kids that homosexuality is not right, which is absolutely hatred. If you're NOT teaching your kids that homosexuality isn't right, then i wouldn't see the issue with what is going on in your schools.

I think it should be brought up as diplomatically as possible with a young kid, but its not bad to teach kids of the people that live in the world.

Are you afraid its going to make your kid gay?
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Because it is legal and teaching that it is wrong is just breeding hate! You can teach your kids it's not what YOU like but you have no right to teach them it's wrong! It's not wrong it's just not what you agree with... As long as it's such a subject of hatred it's a good thing that it's taught as okay in schools. Way to many parents, like mine, teach that if you are gay, friends with gays, or even work with gays you are doomed for all eternity and that it's evil... My mother is one of those people that thinks all gays should be in prision and killed... There is to many people out there like that. By teaching different if schools the schools are takeing steps to quail the hate. Something I am sorry to say is NOT taught in most "gay hatin" homes...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• For me it comes right down to this. Being gay is wrong! The bible says so in several places. I don't belive that it being taught to my kids is going to make them gay. I do agree that it has no place to be taught in school. Just as I don't believe that holidays and eveolution should be taught in schools. I am not worried about it though because we teach our kids here at home whats right and whats wrong. So when is is brought up to them at school they will already know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Should they stop teaching the facts of life in school too?
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 11:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Teaching my kids it's not right is not teaching hate in any way. I don't like it nor do I agree with it, that doesn't mean I hate gays. I know it won't turn my kids gay because we ALL know you're "born gay". (sarcasm) Seriously though, this is something that should not be discussed in schools. My kids will know our lifestyle and will also know the lifestyles of others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• redderbedder, SabrinaMBowen, and dhhaj - couldn't agree more with you 3!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• we are in CA and had to heve the discussion with our children about Prop 8. They were like ICK!When we asked if they would want to learn about this choice in school, a huge NO was our answer. Everything they need to know about the facts of life (as mentioned above by dhhai) they have learned from us. It is not breeding hate, it is stated clearly in the Bible in many places that the choice to be gay is a SIN. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• So is lying but I"m sure you don't tell your children they're going to hell for lying to you about cleaning their room!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• then if you are not afraid of gays then why not let the schools teach your children how to STOP the hate. Why is it so terrible to teach them to get along with everyone. Kids have to learn at a young age how to get along with everyone. And you may be teaching yours that they need to respect everyone no matter who they are, a lot of people do not. If you want proof of that go through some of the responses on post about gays. Do you mind if the school teaches them about a Mommy and a Daddy of course not? This is preparing them for being able to make friends from all walks of life
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2008