Faith

Faith

By Kim Shultz

No sticks and stones have touched my bones,
But words indeed have hurt me.
The taunts and jibes from Smith and Jones,
And those who would convert me.

Whisper the fiery wrath of hell,
And then speak of love sublime.
And how long would it take to tell
How those two things can combine?

Tell me my thought, my will is free
And then say I must obey.
Explain about eternity,
Which I must choose day by day.

The reasoning behind your speech
Is what I am questioning.
I don't deny the faith you preach,
Only the truth of the thing.

Faith is something I cannot share
Although I know I have tried.
But so long as logic is there,
Anything else would be a lie.

What do you think of this poem?  This and many others can be found in this link.

I think it gives a good explanation as to why there is so much debate--dare I say animosity?--between Atheists and Christians.  Although Christianity isn't directly mentioned in this poem, the mention of Smith and Jones, as well as the references to heaven and hell would indicate that the poet is explaining her Atheism to a Christian.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• LOVE this part:
    The reasoning behind your speech
    Is what I am questioning.
    I don't deny the faith you preach,
    Only the truth of the thing.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What may be right for one person may be wrong for another.
    Anonymous

• obviously, the author's 'faith' is different than that of those she's questioning or pointing towards.
    i agree with anon on this one.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I love that! The parts I related to the most:

Whisper the fiery wrath of hell,And then speak of love sublime.--I've never been able to reconcile these in my mind, so I don't believe in hell, but I think Jesus had important things to say about love and compassion.

Tell me my thought, my will is free And then say I must obey. --I prefer a path that encourages questioning and reason. I will not believe something on fear alone. My concept of god is impersonal, but I always had a hard time imagining why 'one true God' would bother to be a jealous god anyway.

The reasoning behind your speech Is what I am questioning. I don't deny the faith you preach, Only the truth of the thing. --I respect that others can and want to live by faith alone, but it's not my path.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Pam, those are the verses that stood out for me, too.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• sighs... the author doesnt understand what faith truly is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Enlighten us, oh dear wise Shaneagle. What is your definition of faith and how is the Author misguided on it's meaning?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have never understood why someone would choose their beliefs based on the way 'other" people acted. But I agree with anon also.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• How sad! A whole website filled with bitter and hatred poetry. Where's the love? Do Atheists love anything? Can't tell from that site.

Look this is the TRUTH for probably every human being, someone will always be against you no matter what you believe. So what! Learn from it, get over it, move on with your life, and please learn to love something. This is for everyone!
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a REALLLLY hard time with any coercion being preached in ANY religion.

Such a thing is utterly anti-Christian. EVERY instance of grace or of faith is a moment of completely free will !!

"... must obey ..." Probably preachers are expressing something wrong, or their listeners are ignoring parts of it.

You "must obey" gospel guidelines only in order to achieve YOUR chosen goal. Exactly the way you "must obey" a recipe's guidelines for caramels YOU wish to make; or you "must obey" car maintenance advice to keep your car's engine running well. !!

Any spokesman for Christ who pressures rather than reasoning and explaining, is going against Christ's most basic interest for mankind.
    My own resource for spiritual information is the Christian Community (movement for religious renewal), and it is entirely based on offering information for each free individual to reason out for him / herself.

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011