• In the Spotlight:

Tattoos...

I want to get a couple of arm band tattoos for my 50th birthday. How does one go about choosing a tattoo artist? Not the art, but the actual practitioner. Is there like a Better Business Bureau for tattooists? Or some kind of certification or registry? How can I make sure it will be professionally and safely done?

TeeJai

Asked by TeeJai at 11:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• i really myself have 2 tattoos but i guess when i did it, i didnt think of who's professional and the right way to do it, when i go into a tattoo shop i do look around to see how clean it is, if they look like they take good care of thier utensils or tools, and go through thier photo books of the previous work they have done if you want to know how good they really are.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have 4 tattoos....my first 2 were done when I was 16...so they are "home-made" but my other 2 were done at a shop...I went by word of mouth, went to the shop looked around to see if I liked it. It also helped that the tattoo place I went to was featured in Tattoo Mag.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have LOTS of tattoos. My best advice is to watch someone work before you let them tattoo you. See if they put on new gloves every time they touch something that isn't steril? are ALL of the parts of the tattoo gun covered with plastic or something? Are his/her lines shakey? Do you like their attitude? I went through a couple artists and shops, but now I've found a guy and a shop that I will NEVER LEAVE.
    Sadly, there is no BBB or registry. I wish there was!
    MammaDukes424

Answer by MammaDukes424 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ask people you know who have tatts. They will tell you who they like or didn't. I know my tattoo artist, personally and know he's safe, clean and trustworthy. If you are in PA I can make a suggestion.....
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I went by word of mouth and then checked out the place for myself.
    c_edmonds

Answer by c_edmonds at 3:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We went to a place that our friend had all his tatoos done. We ended up not using the person he did because we didn't like the guys attitude. Make sure that you can make a connection with the person that is doing your tatoo so that they actually care about the work that they are doing. My husband got one done by a guy that was so hard to get to talk and my hubbys tatoo ended up being totally screwed up. This guys book of art was amazing, but he didn't want to do the tatoo that hubby wanted and didn't tell him. Good luck!
    KimberlySnipes

Answer by KimberlySnipes at 1:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• if you go to a good tattoo shop they will have pictures of tats they have done, they wil be busy, and they will have a good rep. ask people you see that have good tats. they are always willing to talk about them. i have 5 and they were all done by the shops owner. he has to be good if he can afford to open a shop.
    lisamh462

Answer by lisamh462 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2008