Has anyones child ever had to wear leg braces and for how long?

My son was dianosed w/osteochondrosis about a little over a yr.ago and has had to wear braces that are connected to his shoe. His right leg used to bow out and it doesn't look like it does to much anymore is this something that he will grow out of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not too sure of how much this will help you. I had bowed lags and my feet were turned inward so much that they looked backwards. I wore leg braces connected to my shoes from the age of two months to right when I turned five years old.

I look and walk normal now. There was some over correction done and my shoes wear down really fast now, even the expensive orthopedic type. But it is all good.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My husband wore braces for a year of his life for bowed legs. I dont know the condition he had, so i cant say that your son will progress the same way.

My husband still has a very slight bow to his legs, but it doesnt affect him physically at all, and its only visible at eye level to his calves. So braces do help, and he is likely to grow out of it.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes my son got the same kind of braces at 1 and a half. After seeing a few other specialists we decided to stop him from wearing them. His leg naturally turned out the normal way. He is now three and has perfect feet and legs. Take the braces off him. His body will naturally do what it is supposed to. The braces are useless and put strain on ankles and hips
    dalilflower

Answer by dalilflower at 5:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008