Drive or fly 475 miles at the end of February with a toddler?

I have to travel and intend to take my son with me. We've done the drive before, but always with my husband. I am concerned about weather and unpredictable road conditions, but I don't really have the cash for plane tickets. He is pretty good, only rarely getting so tired of sitting he becomes unruly.

What would you do/have you done?

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 2:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you thought about taking a train? I'm not big on the new tsa regulations and having some creep feel up my kid. And your right, driving in feb. Is super unpredictable. If you can, train would be fun for your son, and you don't have to worry about the weather, and night driving would be ok, except if you have to go to the bathroom, or any stops, you will have to wake him up at take him inside.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would probably drive. Leave at 6:00 at night. That way he'll fall asleep and you can sing to the radio - I love that!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would drive. By the time you get through all of the flight check-ins, security checks, waiting in line for boarding, sitting still waiting for take-off and then waiting again for bag pick up, you're going to spend nearly the same amount of time driving as you would flying. Plus, on a drive, you can stop whenever you need to and there won't be stressful times of you needing to interact with security personnel while the toddler is cranky and trying to do his own thing. Add to that the extra security they are doing at the airports - the little guy either gets an small does of radiation for a screening or groped by a stranger.

I've done both kinds of travel alone - and I've done it with two kids. I much prefer the drive. As above, hit nap and/or bedtime. Bring kid-friendly CDs for singing along. Pack fun snacks and a couple of special toys. Also, pack the kid an extra change of clothese that you can get to easy (just in case)
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If traveling on less-traveled roads is your concern, I have a suggestion there: AAA. Have your cell and a AAA card. I've never waited more than 30 minutes for anything and they always ask if I feel safe. You've also got the ability to call 911, if you REALLY need it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I hate driving so I would prefer to fly if you could swing the money for the plane ticket. Otherwise leave at bed time and make the drive while baby sleeps......
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If a friend can host you mid-way I would encourage you to drive it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hmm .... I was hoping the smaller airports (they seemed slow every time I've flown alone) would have lots of room for walking up and down the halls and looking out windows. I kinda forgot the lines can be hit-or-miss:-/

I do LOVE driving at night, but our route is through the boonies of PA, hit or miss with winter. Maybe I just ought to try to find a more populated route, even if it IS a little longer. Ideally, a friend of mine who lives half way will be able to host us for an evening, so only 4.5 hours driving each way.

Still thinking about my options ...
    JZ10FPM

Comment by JZ10FPM (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I hadn't thought of taking the train ... never realized it would be SO much cheaper:-/ I'm definitely keeping it in mind next time I have to travel a long distance!
    JZ10FPM

Comment by JZ10FPM (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011