I'm worried because my son is losing words :(

I am a mother of a 19-month old boy. He has been developing and progressing right along on target with everything until recently. In the past two months, it is like he has forgotten how to say anything. He used to say mama, dada, look, wow, bye bye, and bubba. Now he no longer says any of those things and will only on occasion, say "no". He seems just fine in every other way. He understands what I say to him. If I tell him to go get his ball, or his guitar (he's very musical), or any of his favorite toys, he knows exactly what I am saying. When I say its time to eat, he will go to his little table, things like that so I know he understands me, but all I get from him is noises that arent really words, or he will just look at me. I am in the process of having his develoment evaluated to check for autism, but neither myself or his father really think that he has that. He looks at me, not through me, and he is very affectionate. I know those are some of the other signs of autism. This whole thing has me baffled and VERY worried!! Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

michelke

Asked by michelke at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't speculate about what it could be momma. Wait until the evaluation. Try to stay away from the internet medical sites too. Are you taking him to a developmental pediatrician?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes. His pediatrician referred us to a developmental specialist at the childrens hospital.
    michelke

Comment by michelke (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We saw one in May. My son was diagnosed with ADHD. He also said Evan POSSIBLY has Asperger's. He didn't want to give a definite diagnosis yet. Anyway, Evan has a lot of social issues (which is what Asperger's is) but he's affectionate, etc.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You are right to do the tests. It is probably just going through a phase but better safe than sorry. I went through a phase (2 or 3 I forget) where I made up my whole language of nonsense words. It all made sense to me and my mother knew most of the words for bottle, up, mommy, daddy, etc. I knew English and would respond to things like give mommy your ball or whatever but just preferred not to respond in English. I grew out of it and I am sure that your son will too. I am ADD but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Don't rule out autism. Not all kids have every symptom

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know.... thats what I'm afraid of... :(
    michelke

Comment by michelke (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am in the process of becomming a Development Specialist. I have a teaching degree, but my heart is working with children ages 0 to 3yrs old who have developmental delays. I have 2 children with Delays and i cant wait to help families with their young ones. I have one child who was born with Down Syndrome and we dont know who our 8months old has delays yet except that he is way underweight. Good Luck.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• wait and see what the specialist says try not to worry about it too much
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2011