If a guy told your daughter to love him and do what he said,

or he was going to torture her for all eternity, would you say that was a man worth loving? Would you encourage her to stay in a relationship with him?

Is God the original abusive male?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Only if you really believe that's a true representation of God - I've rejected that perception of Him, and many others have as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hmm.. My thoughts in regards to your question......

That thought process only works if you believe in hell and eternal damnation because of your beliefs. As someone who was raised  Hindu, I do not believe in hell or eternal damnation. However, I devoutly believe in God.

Therefore, I would have to say "No", God is not the original abusive male. God isn't even male, God has no gender, God has no form.. Also one is not punished for their beliefs, or lack of beliefs, All beliefs are equal. All who believe in God, believe in the same One Universal Creator (Whether you call the Creator: God, Vishnu, Brahma,Allah, Jehovah or whatever other name one chooses).  So, since all are one. A believer is not "punished" due to the religion they choose to follow or not follow.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No. I don't liken the relationship I have with Christ to that of my husband, but to my Father - he IS my heavenly Father. I think children should obey their parents as I try to obey Christ. I don't obey him because if I don't He will torture me for eternity, I do it because He sacrificed so much for me, and because if I do then I will be with Him for eternity.
    In fact, God doesn't torture us for eternity if we aren't saved, He simply doesn't allow us in to Heaven, so we end up in Hell. Separation from God will be torture, but it is not because He chose that but because people chose that for themselves.

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The churches I have attended do not teach that God will punish you if you don't follow his every word and command.
    Wow.....I see what you are sayiing and maybe there are some denominations that attribute those words to God, but not MY churches---Congregational and Methodist and Lutheran. We are not preached fear. We hear about honoring the Lord by living a good life and to love one another. No fear.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Not touching this.....

tsk tsk

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would make sure such a guy never comes within 50 feet of my daughter. This is not love. It is not good parenting either.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• oh my goodness. what a reach! but you're welcome to your opinion (and those like yours), everyone has one....kinda like other individual things...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, they do not compare at all. God OFFERS us eternal life, He doesn't DEMAND it! We have free will, we can choose to accept the GIFT He is offering, or not to. Someone who is abusive doens't offer those choices. And, I agree with the way missanc worded it.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, I don't believe that. Not at all. God (at least the God I worship) is loving, forgiving. His word is meant to guide us on our journey to Him, not to make us fearful of Him. Just like any good parent, you want to guide your children in the way they should go, and sometimes you have to back that up with punishment. No, it's not abusive.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• well since i dont believe hell is for those who dont believe in one specific dogmatic view of God, no, no and no. if you or someone else choses to believe God is that way then thats your/their problem.

also, i dont believe God has a gender...so while i call him he for pro-nouns sake, i dont think God's a man.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011