What can I do to help my dd to sound out words?

She is 7 yrs. ols a smart girl but for some reason she doesn't pronounce some words correctly like her R's she can not say them right or her D's (ex: David) she'll say Davin. We try and try but nothing I know it gonna take time but I think she should be talking way better than this she does see a speech therapist at school butstill what else can I do?
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe see a speech therapist outside of school? I'm not sure if every school system is like ours, but the therapy in the school is a joke. My daughter gets approx. 1/2 hour once a week in a group setting. Outside of school she can get one on one, hour long therapy sessions.

If you are confident in the therapy that the school is providing, maybe ask for a care conference with the therapist to ask about her progress? Maybe they can set up a home program for you?
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would use a speech therapist outside of the school. Remember that the letter R is the hardest one to get for some children, some do not master it until 8 years old and that is normal.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my son who is 5 have similar issues, and is in speech. talk to her school about getting her tested
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011