How far along do you have to be for your doctor to determine the sex of the baby?

3A4EVR

Asked by 3A4EVR at 3:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think average is 17-20 weeks but I know from experience they can find out as early as 15 weeks.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 16 i think .. o i didnt read above reply sorry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was 14 weeks and 6 days when i had my first ultrasound and they determined it was a boy by then they wasn't sure so they told me to come back in 5 weeks to make sure. and it was a boy. but it all depends on how the baby is feeling. mine just was like hello i am a boy so stop calling me a girl because i wanted a girl so bad but i am happy with my little boy
    Lgill.Laura

Answer by Lgill.Laura at 3:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think the earliest at a regular hospital is 17 weeks, if you go pay those outside 3d imaging they can tell 15-16 weeks? I'm not super sure about them though. Some doctors wont send the referral for the ultrasound until you're 20 weeks.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 19weeks, but sometimes if you do a 3d ultrasound they can detect it way sooner.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The earliest I've heard is 16 weeks...they will usually do an ultrasound 16-20 weeks to find out the sex.
    menko21

Answer by menko21 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it all depends on your doctor and the procedures they have to follow. I found out with my first child when I was 20 weeks pregnant, and with this pregnancy now (2nd child), I found out when I was 14 weeks and 6 days pregnant, but I went to an actual ultrasound place to find out that early. Usually doctors offices do the "sex determination" ultrasound around 18-20 weeks. :)
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You can find out at around 15-16 weeks, but they usually schedule you for a "gender determination" and/or anatomy scan around 20 weeks. I found out at 20 weeks I was having a girl but before I had an ultrasound at 15w4d and they couldn't find anything out then. Your baby also has to be cooperative lol.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011