How do i get my son to sleep in his own bed?

My son is 19 months and refuses to go in his own room to sleep. If i leave him in the crib. he starts crying heavy. Then my husband and i get into an argument because he is crying. And he doesn't fall asleep unless he is in my bed. By that time its midnight. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try attempting to have naps in his room, if you can...we moved our daughter when she was still an infant but here is how we did it, essentially he just wants to see you or he is comfortable in your bed but his bed is foreign to him,

with my neice, my sister would sleep on the floor next to the crib until she fell out, only took a couple of nights. just be consistent, and tell your hubby to support you, babies and toddlers cry, its natural, but it has to be done!!!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 11:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Why not start with having him sleep on a mattress next to the bed? Then wait like a week, move him a bit further, etc..... This way, he slowly gets used to sleeping away from you, and out of your bed, but without the crying. We don't like the crying either. But we still continue to let our LO sleep with us. It's not like they'll be still in there at 20 yrs old! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• THEY NEED YOUR COMFORT. LET THEY SLEEP WITH YOU UNTIL WHEN THEY ARE ASLEEP THEN YOU CAN PUT HIM IN HIS ROOM OR BED. I DO THAT TO MY SON.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 1:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I saw this technique on nanny 911. Put him in his crib and sit on the floor next to the crib. Every ten mins or so move a little further away from the crib. He knows you are there and that is comforting. Do that for a couple of nights and he should be fine. He is going to cry, try not to interact. After a couple of nights of doing this he should be used to it and you should be able to put him in his crib without incident. Remeber to be consistent.
    Anonymous