What works best for you?

When it comes to disciplining your two year old, what method do you prefer. For example with my bundle of energy, I tell him "No" when he does things he should't and I've even smacked his hand, but he could care less. I had no problems with my first child and I know each child is different.

virgo550

Asked by virgo550 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tell my daughter that I'm going to count to 3, and then I start counting. It used to be that I would rarely have to count past 2. She'll be three years old tomorrow, and I've noticed recently that I'm getting a full count, and then I have to take action. If she is being especially difficult, then I tell her she's going in time out if she doesn't "stop what she's doing...do what she's supposed to...etc". Then I put her in time out if she doesn't listen. It seems to work pretty well, but she does sometimes like her to test her limits. We try to be very consistent with her, and I think that helps.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 3:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Time out. Spanking/hand slapping never worked because it never even phased him but I felt like if I did it any harder it would be TOO hard. Plus, he just started spanking himself whenever he knew he did wrong, so honestly we just stopped it altogether. Time outs took a while but they work for us now. That and pulling him aside for a direct "reminder" to not do whatever.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's been so different for each of mine. My 23 month old though - this girl is crazy and is planning to be the death of her mommy, I think. I count, she counts with me. I say, "Alli, let's sit on the chair instead of jumping." She says, "No, no, Mommy. I jump." I sit her down, and remind her, she says, "OK, Mommy! I sit!" And I look away... and she's standing again. She's certainly the one who will find the limit and get as close as she can. LOL

We use time out for her or just redirection.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Consistency in anything you say works. When my daughter was 2 time out worked...she would scream of course and try to move but i would just put her back....this could last a long time but eventually they give up cause they know your serious....at 3 the threatening of taking away toys came into play....not only did that work...but I was able to ween out old toys lol...now shes 4 and when i give her a look she runs to her own room lol....no matter how stressful, embarassing, tiring, and feeling guilty always be consistent. Good luck and enjoy these years
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• oh man i feel like ive tired everything for my 3 yr old and 2 yr old. oy vey they are coo koo. we make them each sit in different rooms and set the timer on the stove
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my daughter is turning 5 in a few weeks and is out of control.....no punishment seems to work with her...need help, before i pull my hair completly out :)
    mathenymom08

Answer by mathenymom08 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Time-outs & giving her 'the eye' usually works when i have to.
    babygomez

Answer by babygomez at 11:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011