potty train

when can i potty train my 15 month old? how do i get started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Usually, it helps if they're aware of their body functioning - or at least it has been for me.

I think when your little one shows signs and interest - then go on for it!

My dd is just a few weeks from 2 and she won't pee on the potty for ANYTHING! LOL She's not ready. I've switched to cloth and hopefully she'll start being aware of what her body is doing soon and then become ready before long.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I waited until my kids turned 3. I took the diapers away completely and they were fully trained in 2-3 days. If you start now you will be training for years.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• As a mom of a five year old boy, potty training was......interesting!! These are the things that helped us, first off they will let you know when they are ready to use the potty, if you try before that it will only be frustrating for everyone involved, second (the biggie that worked for us) when we/he decided it was time we had "nakie time" this method essentially was him being contained to a part of the house without carpet, a potty chair, and him completely naked. We all stayed in this area for a couple hours a day. Eventually he got the idea that if he went during that time there would be a mess unless he went to the potty chair. A few days later he had the hang of it and before we knew it he was potty trained! But each kid is different.....I read MANY potty training books before we found a method that worked with him. Keep trying and it will happen when its supposed to. Good Luck!!!
    kaceym08

Answer by kaceym08 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think when the child shows they are ready but I wanted to say as soon as I got rid of pull ups my son was trained so I wouldnt use them just put them in underware
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my son was 16 months old when we started the potty training,and i used cherrios in potty chair to make it into a fun game.we called it ring the cherrios!!it worked great.for my little girl i just took her with me evry time i had to go and i got her a princess potty chair and told her only a princess could use the big girl chair,it also worked.hope some of theese ideas help you and good luck to you
    cici447

Answer by cici447 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter will be 3 years old tomorrow, and she just started potty training a couple of months ago. She still has an occassional accident, but she is finally out of diapers. We waited until she started showing an interest in the potty. She first was interested last June, but when we pushed, she backed away. We let her decide when she was ready, and it has made the process very easy for us.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 3:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Google "toilet training readiness" and you'll see some useful information
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm with mandy - no pullups here - but I can also say - all my kids have been fully trained by 3 - and it didn't take ages. My 14 yr old dd was trained just before age 2, took about a week... my son is now 5 and I trained him at about 27 months and it took a week or just over. My 23 m dd isn't really interested except to go with mommy to the bathroom and sit on her potty while mommy does (this is her first interest so we just go to the bathroom together) but she isn't willing to actually go in her potty yet. My other 2 were potty trained when they came into our lives.

If your little one isn't showing interest - I would start introducing the potty - taking him/her to the bathroom with you and talking about what happens - Mommy is making peepee, etc. and talk to your LO about peepee and potty when you're changing diapers... etc - but don't force training early. It's frustrating for everyone.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• While 15 months is a little early it certainly is not outside the realm of normal. My son was 18 months when we started and was day trained within 3 months and night trained within 8 months. My daughter showed no interest until she was almost 2 years old and was trained both night and day in about 2 months. I never pushed either of mine and that is the big thing to me. If you push it takes longer, , but once you start you have to be consistent.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son had a potty chair around 18 months. I sat him on it before baths most nights and he eventually went in it. I then started asking him if he wanted to. I let him roam in undies or naked sometimes and around age 2 it really clicked for him. I was told that you should never force them or push them. I used stickers as a reward and m&ms for #2. I have a display of his stickers above his potty so he can see his rewards. Cheap and easy!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011