I was asked this question about childcare....

What things are very important to you when caring for children?

I replyed from someone on sittercity and this is what they asked....I really don't know how to reply to that question like don't really know what she is asking.....that they are safe having fun, having a fun time but still obeying me??? i don't really know

help please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont get it what do you want to know?
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Did you post an ad looking for childcare and you asked the applicants "What things are very important to you when caring for children?" and this was one of the replies? If so, then I would not hire her. She sounds very immature and not experienced at all.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• if I were taking care of kids the things that would be important to me is that I have good communication with the parents, the kids are safe and have what they need, that I know what is expected of me, and that we have fun.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• That the kids have a positive experience while keeping with the parent's guidelines.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Okay, I reread the question and see that someone asked you this so I am assuming that you are thinking about replying back with that answer- DON'T! If I had asked that question and someone gave me that response, then it would have been an automatic disqualification. The most important things when caring for children are that they are in a safe, loving, and learning environment. Children will disobey you because that is there nature. You kindly correct them and guide them. If you expect children to obey you at all times then childcare may not be the best work for you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think they want to know what you focus on- do you run a tight ship or does your day with the kids go with the flow, do you do projects or crafts on a regular basis, play outside, etc. What is important to you as a caregiver in terms of what you are looking to provide the children in your care and what kinds of things you do to keep them safe, secure, and happy? I remember reading from my daycare provider in her literature that babies are always held when being bottle fed and I appreciated that she thought to make a note of that because to me it showed she didn't just take the matter lightly and throw the kid in a swing with a bottle propped up.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• okay thanks yeah i really didn't mean that they obey me (and don't do anything wrong) just that they know I am going to have lots of fun playing and teaching them but they also just look up to me and not just oh she is here to play we don't have to listen to her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I get the impression that you are the one looking for the sitting job and this question was asked of you by the parent?

Safe and fun are good, but I would drop the "and they are still obeying me." lol Just doesn't come across right. How about safety and fun in a loving and respectful atmosphere?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Ok wait... You are a cargiver on Sittercity and a family wants you to care for their children? And they asked you, "What things are very important to you when caring for children?"

If that's the case, you should be honest and tell them how you care for children. I nanny, so my reply would be, "My most important priority would be the safety of the children and that their needs are always met. I would also strive to be creative, energetic, structured, and interactive with the kiddos. I promote healthy meal/snack preparation, physical recreation, and learning based play in a caring manner. I am neat, responsible, and will be mindful of all instructions/guidelines implemented by you." Then I would talk about my qualifications (First Aid/CPR, Early Childhood Development, etc).
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• They usually ask this question all the time. At least the clever parents. They want to know what is important for you during the baby sitting. they want to know about your thought to take care of a child. I usually say that the most important things are the safety and the smiles and cuddles. Because there need to be safe ans sound but they are children so I have to make sure they enjoy their time with me.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011