For moms who say they won't put their kids in daycare because the don't want someone else raising their child...what happens then the child goes to elementary school?

Are the elementary teachers "raising" your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think we all need to make the best choices that we can for our families, and respect each others choices. It's sad that we can't just be glad that we have the right to make the decision we feel is right for us, and allow others the same choice.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think there is a HUGE difference between a 6 to 6 day care of an infant/toddler.

And the 5-6 hours at an elementary school.

Anonymous

• i think what those moms mean is they try to stay home during the first 5 years of life because that's when your baby does most of their firsts, and as a mom none of us want to miss those milestones or have someone else witness them before you. i am a stay at home mom myself and i dont buy into the whole "daycare raising your kids" thing, i think its just a rude comeback for the other moms who put stay at home moms down. neither of us are right or wrong, we're just doing what we have to do to take care of our families. i do plan to work after mine start kindergarten, only because i wont have to worry about the cost of daycare, right now my whole paycheck would be paying for my 3 kids to be in daycare so i could work. if i could afford to work right now, believe me, i would. atleast part time...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Of course they don't, that is just silly!

Answer by older at 3:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, they're not but they are having a major influence on the child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• There's a difference.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Obviously anyone who spends a great deal of time with your child will have an impact on him/her. This is true in elementary school and high school.... but pre-school aged children are especially impressionable. The caregiver disciplines your child and sets their routine and often effects their eating habits... You make the big decisions, but the caregiver makes the little ones and that can effect the person they grow to become. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon the caregiver.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am seriously wanting to Home school my child or put him in private school where the days aren't nearly as long. It's a fact the public school revolves around making sure they are there long enough for a parent to get a good work day, plus after school program, which hey I'm happy for any parent who needs it to be like that it's a blessing I'm sure. My mom always said she needed us in school because it was her "daycare".

But for the most part I don't want my son in daycare young because I want him to bond with family. Me and his dad are full time students and we both work and we only have my mom watch my son a couple days a week, for the couple of overlapping hours in our schedule, could I put him in daycare instead? yeah. but I don't think it's necessary.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Your silly... I guess some moms feel since they're babies they're missing out on all their milestones but once in school it's different.
    And some moms don't put their babies in daycare bc some feel if you are a sahm why pay the outrageous rates for daycare while you can stay home with the baby and save money.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• OP I like the Q. There is so much more that goes into raising a child than what a daycare curriculum provides- SO MUCH MORE!!! Anyone who cannot see that is an idiot imo. ::shrugs::

I worked daycare for FIVE YEARS. I raised no one's child. I have been a classroom teacher for 4 YEARS, again I have NOT RAISED any one's child. I was an important part of the lives of my students in both the daycare and classroom setting, and cared for them all, but I was not rasing anyone.

Now that I have been a MOTHER for years- I KNOW what is REALLY involved in actually RAISING a child. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011