Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know anything about how to get your childs medical records?

my daughters ped charges 2.80 per page for the first ten pages, & then 1.30 per page for the next however many.. I am using them for my personal self, because I need them to decide if sue'ing is what I want to persue, & I want to have everything ready for my lawyer if I do that. I know you can fax records to other doctors for free, but pretty much wherever you go if you want a copy you are going to have to pay that much for it right? I think it is going to cost a few hundred, which I plan on paying, but just wanted to check and make sure there was no other way around it before I hand over more money to this pedi that I am VERY unhappy with. I also am about to call them & have them fax all the records to a new pedi, so would that make a difference with anything?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • I always got them for free.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I thought they were free also. Have you found a new pediatrician? It might make a difference if you have them fax the records to the new doctor (maybe you won't have to pay).

    Answer by TARARENEE at 3:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • when you go to your new pedi sign a realease form and they will be faxed or hand mailed (depending on yuor old pedis office rules) and it will be free. we are military and move around alot so i always paid the 20 bucks per chart to hand carry them. but i think its a bit crazy to charge me for my own kids records..but whatever. had such a hard time when we went from civi drs to army drs getting the charts in order.

    Answer by sandraberke at 3:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • You call your pediatrician now and tell them you want your child's medical records sent to a new doctor, those are yours and should not be charged again to get them. If you want extra copies now that is a different story. Also if there were any medical procedures done in a hospital, you can go to their records dept and request them for free.

    Answer by older at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Go to a new doctor. Have them request the records. All you should have to do is sign a waiver giving them permission to do so. Ask them if you could also get a copy. That shouldn't cost anything.
    I used to work in medical records, and we never charged doctor's offices for records, but did charge patients. Some places just have to, because the paper, ink, and time of the employee making the copies can be costly. I've spent several hours copying one person's charts before. Of course, then records were still kept in actual file charts all of the time.

    Answer by SpaceToast at 3:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • i would have your lawyer get them. Then the office can not play games.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Complain. Remind them that it is illegal to charge an unreasonable amount for the records, and $1.30/page IS unreasonable if there are hundreds of pages. They are supposed to charge enough to cover the paper, ink (if they're using inkjet, but most offices have laser printers), and some of the time spent by the staff to print it, but how much does that come to, seriously... like $20. Tell them you will be speaking to the ethics board.

    You can also have them faxed to the new ped's office and ask THEM how much THEY charge.

    I have always managed to get my records for free or nearly free by having them faxed to someone who would give them to me.

    Answer by Ati_13 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I would have the lawyer call since you are giving them to the lawyer. I am not sure about most office policies on making lawyers pay. I also request a copy of everything written and tests and what not during each visit. It is typically only a couple pages and our records are all electronic so they email everything from that visit right then and there and I print it when I get home. Too late for that now I know, but for future reference.

    Answer by aeneva at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • I paid over$ 100 to get mine for my last pregnancy.

    Answer by lstrickland at 9:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • how bout if you went to the hosiptal and asked them to get the records and they can fax it to them and see what happens i dont think you should pay for something thats your daughters in the first place but maybe your lawyer can have them fax it to you

    Answer by premiemom18 at 5:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.