Question about potty training....

Okay my son is almost 3.. He pees in the potty but has yet to poop in there.. Though he has sat and almost done it a few times but winds up asking me to put a diaper on him.. But my question is.. If I allow him to roam diaperless he will pee in the potty all day long. But when I try to get him to wear underwear he freaks out. He wont wear pull ups either. He will only use a diaper if I put clothes on him. I have been trying to keep him from ripping all his clothes off since its getting pretty cold around here. But I dont know how I can further his progress in using the potty without allowing him to run bottomless? What can I do to get him to wear underwear or pull ups? He just rips them right off if I put them on him. He is pretty smart and understands what Im telling him. I tell him that mommy daddy and everyone wears underwear.. He actually wore them for a few days a couple months back but when I tried to explain to him to pull them down then use the potty instead of just going in them he completely stopped letting me put them on him! Help! Thanks everyone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids were always much quicker to get the peepee part down than the pottying - I'm not sure why but most kids are a little slower to get the poop training down, it seems :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter was a late potty trainer. She started with peeing and then I had to make a joke and tell her the potty needed her #2 to live...thats what they eat....so after that she would say she had to go feed the potty....with underwear issue, have you tried taking him to the store to pick out his own? Thats when my daughter really got excited. Hope that helps and good luck!!!
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• im no help. sorry but my daughter is the same way...
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 4:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• plastic pants and underwear worked for my ds3 sounds like a diaper. he felt the wet and knew he made a mess. when i say his poopy face i would drop what i was doing and run to the restroom. it took a little while but it worked. also since we werent going outside to much i just put the underwear and plastic pants and thats it. he did wear pull ups at nite though. in the last 7 months he has been wearing just underwear no plastic pants. to get him to use the potty for number 2 maybe just have a stack of books in there and something for him to play with on the potty. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my daughter was so easy on the potty training, i showed her the potty and she was done...she was 20 months. my son is 19 months and i have been introducing him to the potty but does not want to sit down, he only wants to stand up...a little concerned on how to teach him how to potty...we have different tools lol
    mathenymom08

Answer by mathenymom08 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011