Taking Pictures of A Sick Newborn/During Birth/After Birth, Should it be Allowed?

If a Mother was to give birth to a sick newborn by C-Section or by VD.
Do you think the Hospital, knowing the baby will be born sick with a possibility of either living or not making it.

Should allow for the Father or another person to film the sick newborn or take pictures of the sick newborn during birth and after the birth. Before the newborn ends up in the ICU

Because what if the only cry's the Mother/Father get of there sick newborn might only happen if they were to film the baby during and after the birth.
And what if the only video footage and pictures they get of there baby alive without signs of physical Deterioration. Would be video footage & pictures taken of there newborn during the birth and after birth.

Instead of the Mother/Father of the sick newborn being made to wait to take pictures of there newborn showing physical signs of Deterioration before the infant is about to pass away, during the time the infant is passing away or after the infant has passed away.

Or because the Mother/Father had to wait to take pictures of there newborns face, after there child's face showed physical signs of Deterioration from medical intervention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Health

• Its their child! They should be able to do whatever they want. My BIL has pictures of his baby from after she died... its the only memories they have of her and the hospital took her away to quick to get any of her alive. SO SAD!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, of course it should be allowed. Keeping memories of their dear angel forever.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ??
    I think a parent taking the new child's picture at any time is the parent's business, not a hospital matter. Having said that, my hospital would not allow any kind of cameras during the actual birth..just before and afters.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What not? Parents need memories.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hospitals are putting limitations are when parents can take pictures....sick or not. I recently heard some won't allow pictures until at least 5 minutes after the birth. Liability issues....
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The parents should be able to take pictures of the baby and video during labor and right after the child is born. I understand the hospitals point because of all the liability issues although I think parents should still be allowed to take pictures.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• it's not fair for a hospital to stop someone taking pics of anything, if you are doing something WRONG there is nothing wrong with someone taking a picture of it for future use in court. now if a dr makes a wrong decision his is covered by his insurance and hospital, we do trust dr's to react quickly to bad situations, but they are human and are often running on long hours and can easily make a bad call. you can't get a bad call in a picture. now video's not necessary imo, but if someone wants to take a video they should allow that, it's an intimate part of life and it shouldn't be up to a hospital to stop that.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• When my son was born there were NO videocameras allowed in the delivery room because things that look like it is wrong are not. Pictures were allowed but not videos. When my mom's friend had her baby 4 months early, the nurses took a couple of pictures of the birth. Brought the baby to NICU to get examined and the mom to be taken care of and then once mom and baby were stable, the parents took a lot of picutres. 4 months later the baby died and the nurses did an amazing job of taking pictures, preserving memories, including making a plaster cast of the babies hands folder together and a lock of hair. It all depends on the case. In mine, I did NOT want a video because it was an emergency c-section and no one knew what was happening with the baby and wouldn't until he was delivered. I did NOT want a video if my child was still born. I wanted the attention on the baby and me, not nurses and doctors.... cont

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• cont.. having to work around someone with a video camera. It is caotic in a delivery room to begin with, extra people an electronics make it even worse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a friend who is a photographer and she offers this service free of charge to parents who have terminally ill newborns. She gets up and goes to the hospital at all hours, whenever she is called.
    Mama2twins05

Answer by Mama2twins05 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2011