Does your child have an allergy?

How can you prevent the accidents with the food? How can you save your child to eat anything with his/her allergy at school?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 4:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DD is allergic to milk protein (casein, not whey), egg, soy, and nuts. We knew of the egg because she vomited and broke out in hives twice after eating them. At her 12 month check up her dr recommended a blood test which we had done. It also came back that she was sensitive to wheat, but she had been eating that for months with no problems. Basically, I have to read every label, I have to bring food for her everywhere we go. You can't count on restaurants to have something that is acceptable, you can't count on eating at someone's house and them having a dish that is safe, so it's easiest to just bring your own. There are allergy cookbooks and ways to make lots of dishes that are safe for whatever allergy you may be dealing with. We have a short list of restaurants we know we can get something for DD to eat, and I watch everywhere else like a hawk. I almost want to put a button on her that says "Don't feed me!" Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Our son (3) has food allergies, but not to the severity of many like the peanut allergies. We still have yet to figure out ALL of what sets him off - which usually means constipation, bloating painful gas and bright red cheeks. I have tried over and over to get him allergy tested but have been told at this age, its completely ineffective. He is also lactose intolerant - its hard when we go out to eat but by the time he IS school age, he should have it down on what he can eat or not. I Am sure there is a menu so on days he can't eat the meals, he will bring a lunch.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son has an immune deficiency that has resulted in some major food allergies to unexpected things. The key is just not to ever let them eat anything that you didn't prepare yourself. You have to be extraordinarily diligent about looking at ingredients and finding out what some of those long names (chemical or basal names) actually are too. I have often gone so far as to call companies directly and tell them that my son is allergic to this, this, and this, and ask if their products contain anything that could be harmful to him. This is important for me because companies are not required to list every single thing all the time. My son has allergies to chicken, beef, shellfish, eggs, peanuts, oats, rice, potatoes, and milk (casein).
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• maxsmom - go to an allergist/immunologist directly and don't just speak with your pediatrician about allergy testing. My son is only 2. He was tested at 12 months and is tested every 6 months for certain things.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well, I found an allergist who told me that they don't test for "Food Allergies" because that is society hype and has been discarded in the allergy community. I firmed believe my son has allergic reactions AFTER eating.. I kNow it to be true so I was disheartened by him telling me this, I got this response 2 days later from another allergist. I will check in to an immunologist though - thank you!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• this was a big concern when my daughter first entered school. They wouldn't even permit her to take medicine on school property unless it was administered by the school nurse. Of course, the nurse was only on part time and that was not a big help because if someone is severely allergic they need to have a remedy right away. I always packed foods that didn't require medicine but that was no guarantee. I put the medicine in a small medicine bottle and wrap it in foil so my daughter could take it in the event she needed it. I was always worried about stuff like that when I sent her to school. Since she had milk allergies since she was four months, I had been preparing her for entering school for a long time and taking medicine was a daily routine which would help her body build up a tolerance to the foods.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My two year old has a lot of allergies. He first allergy testing was the skin prick test at 14 months. I took her in because she got hives after eating some of her sister's pb and j. She did react to peanuts on that test, also some other things. We did blood testing later and she didn't react to peanut on that. We have some new allergies, too, that didn't react on the original test. My understanding is that the skin test is more accurate than the blood test. You just have to control, as best you can, every single thing that goes into her mouth.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• One of them is allergic to blueberries and the other is allergic to citrus and orange food coloring.
    Anonymous