Seymour Johnson AFB

What is Seymour Johnson AFB like? Gonna be moving there in May. Whats they base gym like?

chadandkim55

Asked by chadandkim55 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Just for Fun

• SJAFB is a great base! I was there years ago when my dad was stationed there. The facilities were well kept when I was there. There is a pool, golf course, nice gym, shopping mall just down the street from the main gate, schools are walking distance from most of the base. It was one of the nicest bases we were ever stationed at - including the ones in California.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Oh, also, the beach is not quite 2 hours away and Raleigh is not quite 2 hours on the other side, so a nice vacation and great shopping are pretty close by. In fact, we moved to Beaufort, NC on the coast when my dad retired from Seymour Johnson. Mail me if you have any questions. We were there for 7 years, so I got to know the base and the area quite well.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thanks. Do you know what there a child area at the base gym? Is there a base hospital? Hows the on base housing? I cant seem to find any pictures of them.
    chadandkim55

Comment by chadandkim55 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't know if they have child care at the gym. They do have a very nice FamCamp (just inside the back gate as I recall - a few blocks from the commissary) where you can camp or use the cabins. There is a base hospital, though it is not very large, it is adequate. Wayne Memorial Hospital is only a few miles off base. When we were there, housing was some of the best I had seen. There are very large common areas in the back yards and fenced personal back yards. Everything was well cared for when we were there. I can't speak to its condition today, but it was very nice then. Our home was a two-story, three bedroom with plenty of room, but not much closet space. We used the hall closet for out of season clothes, etc.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I do remember there being a child development center too, though. I think you could drop your child off there for an hour or so while you visit the fitness center. The fitness center is really nice. They have a cardio center, all the Life Fitness equipment for targeting certain areas, cross trainers and free weights. They also have lighted running trails, raquetball courts and a bowling alley on base.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I also heard a year or so ago that they were redoing all the base housing, so it should all be fairly new when you get there.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011