Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Whats happens to Gifford's constituents now?

I mean...while shes incapacitated.

Does this just mean that her people won't be represented by anyone when a vote comes up? Or is there a sub or something?


Asked by UpSheRises at 4:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 31 (48,798 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • In the past when a US congressman dies or has a major illness that takes them out of work permanently , the governor of that state appoints someone to take the seat until there can be a special election. A lot of times they appoint the spouse of the person who was elected. This is a similar situation, since she may not be able to go back to work within her term. (Same as when a seated member of congress gets elected to another office mid-term - See: Blago and Obama's seat).

    Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • IDK, that's a good question. I know that some city and state positions have a deputy position under them that will fill in when the elected representative is either not available or incapacitated, but I am not aware of our federal government doing that with our elected officials.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 7:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • The Constitution calls for special elections for vacancies, but I don't know what the rules are for illnesses/disability.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • That's why i wondered...this could go on for quite a while.

    Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Good question. I'm not sure if this situation has happened before.

    Answer by tinamatt at 9:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • Thanks for the memory jog, NP... Mary Bono Mack succeeded her husband in his seat, and there were several others too. Now, those were deaths... Obama resigned his Senate seat... but in the case of someone who is incapacitated and unable to communicate, does there have to be some action by the doctor in the case so that legally the governor can proceed?

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • I'm on my way out, so I can look later if nobody wants to in the meantime, but I vaguely remember a long while ago there was a situation where someone (I think a senator maybe?) had a stroke and was eventually replaced, but I don't remember what all details led up to them deciding they officially would or would not be replaced. I do remember hearing speculation on the news about who the replacement would be before it had ever been decided they were officially out and thinking that was pretty cold (and actually, I'm surprised it hasn't started yet in this case).

    Answer by NotPanicking at 1:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011