Does your husband devour all the food in your home?

My Dh eats A LOT. I was talking to a friend today and she said her husband is eatinng them out of house and home. She has a hard time keeping food in the house especially snacks and treats for the kids. Is this a problem in your home?

hotrodlassie

Asked by hotrodlassie at 4:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• YES! Then he blames me when he cant find something to eat or when the grocery bill is high
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• YES!! my husband is 6'3 and 190 pounds. he's tall and has a very hearty appetite. the problem is though he never wants anything we have around here, cause most of our food is "kid food" - lol. but whenever it's a grocery day and our fridge is fully stocked - it doesn't last long with him around!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My husband is an oinker, though you would never know it to look at him. He finishes his own meal, goes back for seconds and then finishes what I can't eat! He eats four times what I eat and he never has to battle the bulge. If my daughter wants a snack, she keeps it in her room because she knows that daddy will get the midnight munchies and eat anything he can find. Can we say tapeworm? ha ha
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My SIL does and it makes me sick..........
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Husband doesn't but my 23 year old son eats like a horse! and he is supper skinny too!

Answer by older at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• He used to, but his eating has slowed down in the last 4-5 years (he's 53). He's never been over weight, so I assume he needed the calories. He works at a pretty physical job.

I have 3 sons however, ages 19, 21 & 28, and they devour all of the food in the house....and they are also very thin, so they must need the calories....guys have high metabolisms, and tend to need more calories.

If he's overweight, then maybe he shouldn't be eating so much, but if he isn't, he may just need the calories!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No.

First, because I only shop a couple of times a month, so when the 'good stuff' is gone, it's not being replaced until the next time I get to the store... which tends to make people a bit like hoarders, 'saving' some for later, and

Second, because no one in our house has ever been allowed to eat all of anything. Anyone's allowed to eat 'the rest' --but outright gluttony is not okay, and the few instances of it have been heckled continuously ever since (there is a pie in my husband's past that he'd prefer if no one ever heard anything about again, the story has been told so many times to so many people)...

Also, when there is a constrained amount of anything (like only 2 chicken wings per person, or whatever) I serve dinner onto plates, and then hand out the plates, so no one has the opportunity to 'get the most' of anything in short supply.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• neebug3766 My Dh is like that I have to remind the kids to hide the treats they get from school.
    hotrodlassie

Comment by hotrodlassie (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• YES!!! Eats all the time, then says how he needs to lose some weight lol. He's not heavy, just not as trim as he used to be.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 5:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know he doesn't really, but sometimes it sure feels that way. He just started back at school so he now packs a lunch and diner. That's a lot of food that he walks out of the house with every day. And it leaves me with crap mac and cheese. Grrrrr
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011