1 loaf of bread gone in less than half a day for 3 people?!?!

Last night I went to the store to pick up bread, lunch meat, cereal, milk, etc because we were expecting snow and they were telling people to stay off the roads unless necessary. It did snow and now we are out of bread (I got the last loaf) because hubby got up in the middle of the night and made a quite a few grilled cheese sandwiches. Really? I mean we had a loaf of bread that was suppose to last at least 2 days when normally it lasts a week and it is now all gone! Okay, vent over, now for my question- Have you ever bought anything for a snow storm and expected it to last a certain amount of time but wound up using it up before that time?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Shopping

• Our house easily goes through a loaf a day. I make my own now.
    Anonymous

• I don't find that unusual really. We can just about go through a loaf a day with just 2 of us. Toast, sandwiches and depending what we have for dinner.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Anon, I had thought about doing that. Do you use a bread machine or do you do it the old fashioned way? About how long does it take?

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'd rather have had some french toast:) Nothing ever really lasts very long with a man in the house does it? lol

Don't have many snowstorms where I'm from.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well, no.

I know how to make bread, and I always have the supplies in the house. And, for reasons I probably couldn't explain to anyone, when it's snowing is the most likely time I'll do it.

We're also food rats: we have, at any one time, probably $3k in food in the house. We could probably hold out for a month without needing to shop --although the variety of meals would get pretty weird after about a week...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Lmao! Sounds like something my Dh would do. Leave him alone, he was hungry! Tehehe
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I love my bread machine. I use one day to do all my baking.
    Anonymous

• LindaClement I love to bake when it snows too.
    Anonymous

• we don't have snowstorms, and very rarely have weather that forces inside. but i fi buy honey bunnies, i can bet that with 4 boys and a hubby, 2 boxes will last a day! oh, and we go through about 2 loaves a day on bread!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 4:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 1/2 a loaf a day of the GIANT, thin sliced bread is normal here. Add another person...or someone eating another snack.. it wouldn't be hard for a loaf to go in a day. DH and one son each eat 2 sandwiches at lunch. alone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011