Pregnant & exposed to shingles.....

I am 8 weeks pregnant & just found out that my step dad has shingles. I was at his house the other day and they kept my daughter a couple of days ago. Is this bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• IF you have had chicken pox before you should be just fine... its the adult case of chicken pox... but worse.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, it could be bad if they kept her. It is very contagious, and she could have picked it up off of surfaces. I would be careful if I were you.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Shingles is when the chicken pox virus reactivates sometime after you initially have the chicken pox. If you have not had the chicken pox, you could possibly catch the chicken pox from someone with active shingles. If you have had the chicken pox, you should be fine. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If I were you I would go stay some where else. I was told by my midwife when if you had it before its still dangerous to the unborn baby.
    My old neighbors granddaughter caught is and came over to my place with I was pregnancy=t with my son and then I found out she had it a couple days after that. (she didnt have the spots when she came over) My midwife said stay away from her until she is clean of chicken poxs.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Don't forget to mention this to your doctor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree, mention it to your doc at your next visit.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011