• In the Spotlight:

When did your children start to bath themselves.

I started to teach all my children to take their own showers in Kindergarten. I "helped" them until they got the hang of it but no longer did everything for them. One of my friends still baths her fourth grader and brushes her teeth. What about you?

hotrodlassie

Asked by hotrodlassie at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Age five is when it is appropriate to let your child bathe themselves,with supervision. Whats up with your friend? 4th grade is too old to be washing the kid and brushing her teeth.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son is in Kindergarten and he is washing his body by himself and trying to learn how to wash his hair but we are still working on that part.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I started letting them bath on their own when they started kindergarten. When they were little and would take baths I would let them wash themselves, although I washed their hair. Now they are 13, 11 and 9 and take showers by themselves all the time.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I still wash my daughters' long hair (ages 6 and 8) but they've been washing their own bodies since they were 2. I still helped them get the missed spots at that age and supervised until they were 4 or 5.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i help my boys, sometimes. my oldest, 10 less than i help my youngest, 3 yo. i do a lot of supervising, especially during football season, tell what parts to wash!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 5:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my 4 year old takes showers by herself, she washes her body but i still wash her hair for her. she also has been brushing her own teeth since she was 2. her shower curtain has a "window" where i can see her and she can see out, and i always leave the door open. she really just likes to sit and play with her toys anyway - lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter turned 4 in October. She bathes herself (we haven't tried showers yet...she hates water in her eyes & ears). I wash her hair...she washes her body most of the time, with supervision so she doesn't miss spots...sometimes I do it for her.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Mine started showering and bathing themselves when they started school.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my 20month old takes her clothes off puts it in the dirty bucket takes her diaper to the trash and takes her rubber band out her hair i will start the water and bubbles and she will climb in and play with her toys when i ask is she ready she says yea i give her soap in her hand watch her wash her self and than i will help her rinse off she cant hold the cup well enough i take her out dress her and she says teet= tooth brush i put tooth paste on her tooth brush and she turns it on and brushed her teeth and puts water in her mouth when she is done she rinses her toothbrush and puts it back on the counter when will she do this alone when she probably 4 or 5 but i think she has it down packed at 20months i just will NEVER LEAVE HER ALONE IN THE BATHROOM IM TOO SCARED!
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 5:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my son is scared to wash his own hair because he doesnt do well with water on his face and he is scared that the soap will get into his eyes....but he knows how to get a bath by himself....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2011