carnation instant breakfast

i was told by my 4 year old's pediatrician today that she needs to start drinking this twice daily, because this apparently tastes better than pediasure. she's underweight and needs to get some meat on her bones. i have to buy the powder and mix it with whole milk, give it to her twice daily WITH meals. it sounds like this will definitely help gain weight!

does your child like this? im concerned about getting her to drink it. i hope it just tastes like chocolate milk. and im thinking of making this my breakfast (only the instant breakfast though, i certainly DONT need to gain weight) because im never hungry in the morning but i know how bad it is to skip breakfast. and i also know this is loaded with protein and carbs.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I used to give that to my 2 older boys when they were little. I told them it was "chocolate milk" and they liked it. I used to drink it as well (I am NOT a breakfast person) and I did like the taste of it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids both love it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We used it for our granddaughter. She would not drink pediasure. She loved the strawberry. She thought it was strawberry quik. If you have a shake mixer (tupperware makes one) you will get a much smoother mix.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I personally always liked it, my mom and dad used to always drink it when I was little and they would let me once and a while too. Very Yummy!!!!
    tcjsmomma

Answer by tcjsmomma at 5:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter was diagnosed with a failure to thrive when she was two, and we had her drink this mixed with half and half... it did wonders.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I often mix w/ skim or light soy milk for breakfast and I give it to my two girls w/ whole milk when they ask for chocolate milk. It's a household favorite. Not as cheap as chocolate syrup but they like it just as well and it's much more nutritionally sound :-)
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 5:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My girls love it. It is cheaper than pediassure and tastes much better. They have chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavored. You shouldn't have a problem getting her to drink it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Its awesome my kids are big.they still eat it with meals or alone .
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Please find a new doctor. This is a terrible way to get nutrients into a child:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/275688-ingredients-in-carnation-instant-breakfast/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings

This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado

Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011