Need help with home made baby food!

i made some baby food from sight online and i froze the rest just like they said but its begining to brown! i just made it yesterday!! is it still good?? and if not how do i keep it from going brown??

Meanttobeamomma

Asked by Meanttobeamomma at 5:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Is it banana? Avocado?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• a banana avocado mix...
    Meanttobeamomma

Comment by Meanttobeamomma (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Bananas do get brown.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yea, those will brown. Why not just fork mash it right before feeding? Or, better yet, just slice and let baby do the mashing! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yeah-bananas don't do well after they are frozen. You would not want to thaw and eat one yourself. But they are good mixed into smoothies. Most other fruits will do much better when you freeze them. I would just mash up some banana with whatever you want to add to it for the baby when you happen to be eating a banana fresh .
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i was trying to mix the avocado and bananas together... hes only 6 months so i have to feed it to him... and it makes it easier to just freeze it since i usually dont have time to just make a new batch every night! so is it ok to feed it to him then?
    Meanttobeamomma

Comment by Meanttobeamomma (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You don't really *have* to mash it, though... if either fruit is ripe he should be able to chew it on his own, just fine. I know it's fun to make special recipes and everything, but often it's just more practical to stick with simple stuff. When will he ever eat banana and avocado mixed together in the future anyway? Probably never... It's probably less time to slice or mash fresh stuff than to thaw frozen.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• banana will always turn brown in the freezer.. it is so much easier to mash it up than to defrost slowly.. It takes about 10 seconds to mash up with a fork (or slice which is another great suggestion since it is better for fine motor skills and babies jaws are wicked strong).. as opposed to running it under water in the sink or placing it in a water bath for several minutes. What we did with our son is we basically got him onto food by sharing with us.. I would use my grinder to grind up some of our din din and give it to him.. and then we moved onto just giving him stuff off our plates.. what we got as a result is a boy who eats anything in front of him and loves lots of variety...only thing he doesn't care for; kids meals.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 12:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I always just peeled a banana then mashed it and fed it right away. I never tried to save it for later. If they didn't finish the banana, I did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2011