If times were tight would you ask your 6YO if she'd rather a party and a few gifts, or just extra gifts?

We're on a tight budget...my daughter's 6th birthday is coming up, would you just make the decision or let her decide? Either she can have a party with all her classmates and just get a few gifts from us, or get more gifts and no party? I'm leaning towards the party and experience is more important than the gifts, but I don't know! Plus all the kids will get her gifts....hmmm...

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 5:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Give her the party. Everyone will bring gifts. I really don't get my kids many gifts. A few small cute things on the actual day is fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would give her the party. They are so much fun and if you have it at your house you can save some money on it. We usually make pasta to cut down on the cost and go to the dollar store for party favors.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We were on a tight budget with 2 of our kids this fall. We told them they probably wouldn't be getting gifts at all never mind a party. And it wouldn't be the first time. My son turned 9 in October and was fine with it. We were struggling just to have enough food every week. We gave him a card with $9 in it. That was it. And he got a cake that I made but I let him play xbox all day and he didn't have to do his chores and he was happy. He didn't complain at all. A few days later we took him to Target to spend his money. I guess it helped that my dad sent him a DSi XL that came a couple days after his birthday, lol. For my dd's she turned 8 in Nov and we just had her friends over and I made cupcakes. We gave her a Zhu Zhu pet that I found for $5. That was about all we spent on her birthday.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011