Why do you buy department store or other "high end" cosmetics? (S/O question)

I didn't want to just say "department store" since there are other non-drugstore cosmetics out there, like Mary Kay.

I have little experience with these because everything buy Mary Kay that I've had on my skin has irritated it. I can only use certain kinds of each type of makeup, and most of those are drugstore brands for some reason. I love Mary Kay concealer, though. Best coverage I've ever had from one and I wish I could always afford it.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 5:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I buy what works best for me. Some of the bargain brands irritate my skin, have chemicals I want to avoid, or just don't work well. Eye shadows, in particular, seem to have better coverage (more pigments) and be less irritating in the more expensive brands. Eye liners too. I use Bare Essentials for my face...it just works well, and is easy to use, and looks more natural on. Mascara, I still buy Mabelline. Nail polish, I like Revlon best (though I wish they had more of the fun colors).
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I use whatever I like best, regardless of the price. Some things are way more expensive, and some are pretty reasonable (like my mascara). I don't care what the brand or price is as long as it works well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Because I love trying new brands and products and I've been through all the drugstore brands...a couple of times. LOL! I needed to branch out for the excitement of something new.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• because i've purchased makeup (all of it!) since 1980, and i've tried it all, from the $1 lipliner to $65 foundation. i know what products work best for me, and what products aren't worth the packaging, be it paper/plastic or 14k-gold compact. i started buying Covergirl lipstick in h.s., but as an adult with better income, i came to prefer Lancome or MAC. i don't have to buy either, but i do if i want to. that said, the last lipstick i purchased was MK.
    i'm happy with Target/ mascara, but prefer Diorshow. really, its whatever i need, at whatever store i happen to be in. i don't really plan my makeup purchases at this stage in life/finance.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am a make up addict. And I love all make up. But I have noticed the difference in the make ups wearability. The department store kinds tend to last longer, and keep that fresh look about them. And the other ones i have tried, have not stayed put all day. But each skin is different and absorbs it differently. So whatever will work on your skin, WORKS!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I buy products that are more expensive because I like products that work, but I don't like chemicals in my house or on my body.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't!

Answer by older at 5:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Some products I buy are more expensive (like foundation...I buy Dior) and other products are less expensive drug store stuff like lip gloss.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I USE STILA, AND LORAC PRODUCTS.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 5:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• When I can afford it, I buy Lush for face creams, cleansers, etc. and Bare Escentuals for makeup.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011