Kids and veggies....

Anyone have any good ways to guarantee a child will eat their veggies? My kids are 3, 5 and 9 and when it comes to a healthy meal they would rather starve than eat it. Any ideas to get them to eat? I am all out.

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 5:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• 1) Cheesy mashed potatoes with hidden green veggies, you puree them
    2) Drizzle honey over peas, I'm not a big fan but my girls LOVE it
    4) Some veggies can be sweetened and put into yogurt or ice cream (like carrots, peas, yams)
    5) Sautee with butter and brown sugar sauce, it doesn't take a lot but sometimes I can even do this with asparagus and broccoli
    6) There is always the Mott apple juice with veggie servings in the juice, v8 fusion juices(or walmart brand knock offs), or even ragu pasta sauces.

Good luck! it's an uphill battle.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 5:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In meat loaf! I put onions, grn peppers, mashed steamed carrots and pureed pees in my meat loaf. Taste good and cuts back on the amount of meat I have to use.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wish I could help you. I have been very lucky. My kids love fruits and veggies. Have you tried hiding them in food?
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Any kind of veggie casserole they like, squash, broccoli and green bean. Fettuccine w/ small bits of steamed broccoli. Spaghetti sauce is packed with steamed squash and peppers.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids like dip as well. They will dip green beans, peas and carrots (steamed) in ranch dressing.
    But_Mommie

• I would not give them a choice. In my house you have to try everything on your plate and eat all of one thing. So if we have brussle sprouts, steak and rice they have to try everything. If they don't they don't get dessert or a snack later until they do try. Remember kids won't starve themselves so if they are hungry they will eat. You have to stay strong until this becomes habit. Also, try having a trying plate. When I am making something new I will put together a plate for everyone to try the food. I have gotten my kids to eat things like fish and eggplant this way. You could also find different ways to get veggies into their diet, like adding them to pasta sauce or meat loaf. Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's best if you can get them to eat them and KNOW they are eating them, but if all else fails hide them. I used to steam califlower until it was soft and mix it in mashed poatoes. I would puree carrots and turnips, or parsnips into soups. Some kids just want something to dip them in like ranch...others will eat them if they are covered in gravy. Try whatever seems to work best. Also V-8 fusion juices are fantastic. Our dietician suggested them for my GS who is picky..but also has a lot of allergies.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Have you seen the book Deceptively Delicious? It's a book about slipping nutrients into things your kids will eat. I've just never had a problem with it.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes we do steamed cauliflower in mashed potatoes as well. Very good! I also want to add that you don't want to just hide them. You want to always have a plain veggies on the plate other wise they will never learn to eat them. I agree there should be a required 'no thank you bite' of everything on the plate in order to get seconds of what you like or dessert.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• DS is more likely to eat them if he can dip them, or if I tell him they're "special". Lettuce he won't eat, but if I tell him it's salad, he will. Chopping them up and adding them into foods he likes helps, as well as pureeing them and adding them to recipes. Have you read Deceptively Delicious? Some of the recipes are hit and miss, however, the premise is great, and gives you ideas how to incorporate purees into your own recipes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011